Chapter 1

Cameron's POV:
I woke up to the sound of my alarm. Today is just gonna be another day at UCLA but at least I have practice today. I'm 20 and this is my third year at UCLA. I was born and raised in Kansas but I moved to California when I started studying at UCLA. I play for the UCLA Bruins women's soccer team and I'm a midfielder. Soccer has always been the one thing that kept me going when times were rough. I've always dreamt of one day being called up to the national team but that'll most likely never happen. I've been obsessing over Tobin Heath and Kelley O'Hara ever since I've known who they were. I look up to them more than I look up to anyone. I met Tobin when I was 16 and she told me to always follow my dreams and that she could imagine me playing on the national team and hearing that meant a lot to me, especially coming from her.

I started getting ready for the day. I majored in psychology and not gonna lie I loved it. Luckily I only have 2 classes today which is good cause then I'll have some time for myself before practice.

Those two classes went by pretty fast and now I'm on my way back to my dorm. My roommate Kylee was already in our room when I got there. She was basically my only friend but I didn't really mind that.

"Hey Ky" I said as I entered our room. She was laying on her bed looking at her phone. Typical Kylee.

"Sup Cam" she answered not even looking up from her phone.

I had an hour until practice so I decided to take a nap.

"Kylee can you wake me up in like 45 minutes?" I asked her knowing that she probably won't leave our room until I do.

"Sure thing" she said as she set a reminder to wake me up. And with that I was fast asleep.

*𝟒𝟓 𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐮𝐭𝐞𝐬 𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫*

"Cam, wake up!" I heard Kylee yell as she jumped on me.

"Ow, Ky! You didn't have to wake me up like that" I said trying to breathe since she was laying on top of me. You see I'm 5'2 and Kylee is about 5'11 so she weights more than me.

"Sorry" she said laughing and then she finally decided to get off of me.

I stood up and grabbed my bag that had all my soccer stuff in it and decided to go there early.
"I'm gonna head out to practice. Bye Ky" I said closing the door behind me.

"Bye Cam" I heard Kylee yell after me.

When I got there I immediately went to the locker room and started changing. As I was putting on my cleats some of my teammates started arriving and like 5 minutes later the whole team was there which is suprising cause someone's always late.

After everyone was done changing we went out to the pitch and started our warmups. When we were done coach called everyone over to him.

"So since we have a game tomorrow the rest of the practice will consist of you guys scrimmaging and working on your tactics." he said. That was pretty normal, we did that before every game. "Oh and Davies, I'd like to have a word with you after practice"

"Yes coach" I said with fear in my voice cause he seemed pretty serious and he's literally never serious, only when we're at games.

Just like planned, the rest of practice consisted of scrimmaging. I scored two goals and one of my teammates Jessie scored one. Our team won and the losers had to do 3 laps.

When practice was over I was heading to the locker room when I remembered that coach wanted to talk to me so I turned around and started walking towards his office. I knocked on the door and when I heard a faint "come in" I opened it and I was shocked by who was standing in front of me.

Jill fucking Ellis was in my coach's office.
"Cameron I want you to meet Jill Ellis the head coach of the women's national soccer team" said my coach smiling at me.

"It's nice to finally meet you Cameron" said Jill offering her hand for me to shake it.

"It's an honor to meet you" I said shaking her hand still stunned from the fact that Jill Ellis was standing in front of me and she was talking to me.

"I've been watching you since last year and I think you are an excellent player. I'd like to invite you to our training camp that starts in two days. It'll take place in Carson which isn't far from here." She said looking at me.

"Thank you so much. I'd love to come. I promise you won't be dissapointed in me." I said smiling like an idiot. My dream is about to come true.

"Great, I'll email you the informations and I'll send you an uber that'll take you to Carson. See you in two days Davies." Jill said as she shook my hand again.

"Thank you again. See you soon coach." I said shaking her hand. I can't believe this.

I went to the locker room and showered then changed. When I got back to my room I basically jumped on Kylee.

"I got called up to the national team, bitch!" I yelled in her ear hugging her.
"You what? I'm so happy for you bro" she said as she hugged me back.

"I gotta call Diane" I got off of Kylee and dialed my girlfriend's number. Oh did I mention that I have a girlfriend? No? Well, now you know.

\\\ Diane-bold   Cameron-normal ///

"Hey babe"

"Hi love, guess what"

"What?"

"I got called up to the national team's training camp!"

"Are you gonna go?"

"Well, of course I am, why wouldn't I be going?"

"You're gonna meet that Tobin bitch and you're gonna forget about me! Do you really want that when I'm literally the best thing in your life?"

"Now why would I do that? You know that she's my idol and she's 7 years older than me. You know that this has been my dream since I was a little kid."

"I don't care. I don't want you to go."

"I'm gonna go to camp whether you like it or not" and with that I hung up.

"Well that didn't go as planned" I said out loud as I flopped on my bed thinking about why my girlfriend isn't happy for me. Soon I fell asleep without taking a shower or changing my clothes.

Word count: 1119 words