Trials

Secretkeeper paced around in her jail cell. She wasn't chained up, neither were the other NightWings. Even though they were possibly traitors, they were still NightWings. Until the queen had evidence they were traitors, they would remain unbound.

Which was a very good thing. Secretkeeper had been pacing for a few hours, her mind spinning. What would be her fate if she were convicted a traitor? What about her father? And since when Fearkeeper help Treasurekeeper? Where was their mother?

The candle light flickered and Secretkeeper looked out her jail cell. Someone had to have moved by it for it to flicker. Sure enough, two NightWing guards were down here. They spoke softly and Secretkeeper couldn't hear what they were saying.

They walked over to her cell and flung the door open. Secretkeeper froze and one of the NightWings dragged her out and held her by her neck. She heard the cell slam shut behind her.

"Stay strong, Secretkeeper," her father claimed, claws around the bars. Their eyes met and she, for the first time, saw that her father did care about her. Maybe that was just her imagination playing with her again.

She looked away and heard her father groan. The guard probably punched him.

"Shut up," one of the NightWings growled. 

The NightWing on her neck let go and they walked behind her. She couldn't make a run for it, even if she wanted to. 

Secretkeeper knew she was innocent and she wanted a chance to be redeemed. There was a chance and where there was a chance, there was hope.

They walked into a room filled with many dragons. She took a moment to look around before the guards pushed her forward to the center of the stadium.

The queen, princess, Fearstriker, and a few other NightWings were on a stage. Lava poured from the sides, making the NightWings look even more terrified. Secretkeeper made herself as small as she could.

Then she spotted Morrowseer close to a stage, looking at her with great intensity. She gave him a weak smile and he tried to smile back. She said tried because she believed it was his first time smiling.

Secretkeeper held back a laugh and faced the queen.

"Welcome, loyal subjects. Today, there will be four trials for some NightWings who were helping the RainWings during our war. I know, disgraceful. Fearstriker will try to defend the convicted and Shadow will be the prosecutor. May the trials begin!" the queen exclaimed.

Secretkeeper looked at Fearstriker and he nodded toward her. She knew he always tried his best and he'd try twice as hard for Dreamcatcher's girlfriend. 

Still, Secretkeeper was slightly unsettled.

"Secretkeeper, we found you with Soulfinder's group, planning how to help the RainWings. I don't see how she couldn't be guilty," Shadow claimed, staring off into the crowds. He looked pleased with himself and Secretkeeper hated it.

Fearstriker said almost instantly, "She wasn't apart of Soulfinder's group. Each member goes through three test; the first is passing a test on empathy for other tribes, the second is cutting your left palm, and third is swearing allegiance. It is written down on this scroll here."

Fearstriker took a quick break as everyone looked at the scroll and Fearstriker showed everyone her left claw. She just may be free again and in her tribe.

"However, her two friends, Wishful and Dreamcatcher, were on that list. Not to mention her father. She could have wanted to join, making her intentions to help the RainWings. She may start this group up again. Death is a powerful tool, if used the right way," Shadow stated, making his voice a little louder. 

"She had no idea her friends were apart of it, right Secretkeeper?" Fearstriker asked.

Secretkeeper shuddered and was silent for a few moments before she realized she needed to talk. "Uh... yeah. My father brought me there, introduced me to Soulfinder, and we heard wingbeats so we hid," Secretkeeper explained, shaking.

"We cannot trust the opinion of the traitor," Shadow snarled.

"It's true," Fearkeeper claimed, standing up in the crowd. "I saw her leave the house with my father and that's why we found them. They definitely didn't have much more time to do anything but an introduction, if that."

"She was on the list of candidates they wanted to recruit," Shadow retorted.

Fearstriker growled, "So if you were on that list, we should have a trial for you too? How about the princess herself? What if she was on the list of recruits they want?"

Everyone was dead silent. Secretkeeper felt the nervous energy bouncing off of the walls.

"It is settled," the queen said, stepping forward so she was on the edge of the stage. "Secretkeeper, I proclaim you, not guilty. You are able to go free."

She stared at the queen and nodded, saying thank you. The queen nodded back and Fearstriker relaxed. Morrowseer went down to meet her and escort her out. 

She was certainly happy she was free but worried about her father. 

Secretkeeper pushed that thought off to the side. She hadn't seen him, nonetheless talked to him for years until now. If he's in prison, not much will change. 

Morrowseer brought her to a cliff where they could watch the ocean waved sizzle on the burning shore. She looked longingly at the sea and leaned her head on Morrowseer's shoulder. He tensed up and eventually relaxed.

He slid one wing around her carefully and they just watched the sky and shore, without saying a word. There was no need to.

He was more than a friend now. Maybe she could be his soulmate and be happy. Perhaps this was her true destiny.

She closed her eyes and felt like she was right where she needed to be.