Chapter 14: Scare Bet

Start from the beginning

Gaster and Hapstablook hid back behind the brush, and Pristina unlocked the doors.

Chara jumped out. "Took you long enough."

"Sorry, I dozed off for a bit," Pristina told her.

"And why did you lock the doors?"

"...Um, so I could get you out when you knocked, like I said."

"So, you didn't think I'd like to get out myself? And you know I could have used my magic and burned the door open, so it wouldn't even matter."

"Well, yeah... so... what happened?"

"Nothing... I was just sitting in a small, dark box, being annoyed for about an hour... could have also just lighted up the inside with my fire magic, too, by the way. Though... I did have some time to think. Probably why I was in there for so long."

"What did you think about?"

"Oh... um, nothing important. Well, I've got to go. Bye." And Chara ran off.

Gaster and Hapstablook walked back out. "Hm, I actually thought that might've worked," Gaster said.

"Is this the best you can do?" Hapi asked. "Come on, that's a childish fear."

"Oh, come on, I tried," Pristina replied.

"Well, I suppose Chara isn't bothered by small spaces," Gaster told them. "Well, maybe it's because she is so small herself... don't tell her I said that. You know she doesn't like it when she's called short."

"Well, I guess I lost. So... who's next?"

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

"So, why are we going to Hotland?" Chara asked.

"Oh, I want you to meet some distant friends," Hapi replied.

"Friends, not family?"

"My family and their family have been close friends for a long time. Don't worry, we just need to pick up some stuff, and you can talk for a while."

"Why isn't Pristina with us?" Chara asked.

"Oh, she couldn't join us today." Hapstablook stopped. "Here we are."

They stopped outside an old wooden house, a few miles outside of the main area of Hotland, away from any of the magma and general heat that might burn it up (though it was still pretty warm). Though I was still was worried it might just fall apart.

"Are you sure-" Chara started.

"It's fine, darling," Hapi replied. "And the monsters who live here are great."

She floated up, and knocked on the door. It then opened, and... no one was there.

"Um..."

"Come on, go on in."

Chara walked on in. And Hapi followed her as the door closed.

Hapi floated back, before she got a surprise. "So this is your plan."

She turned around to find Gaster and Pristina behind her. "Oh, hey."

"The spider house?" Pristina asked.

"Well, the spiders have been close friends with the ghosts. Though other monsters tend to be very afraid of them. So, I asked them to put on a show for Chara."

"Oh, that's... oh," Pristina said, little shocked.

Gaster was a little worried. He wasn't scared of the spider species of monster like many others were, but he was aware that they were a very smart species of monster. Hapstablook and Pristina didn't know this, but the spider family were the ones most likely to discern that Chara...