Chapter 12: Echo Flowers

Start from the beginning

"By the way, Gaster home schools you, right? Why don't go to school like us?" Pristina asked.

Dang it, I thought. Okay, what's a good lie... a good lie... "Um, well, my family doesn't want me to be seen in public spaces. They're paranoid that I'll get hurt or something." Okay, good, and it's not too far from the truth. Let's add to it, so Semi knows I'll be safe. "They especially don't want me near the Royal Guard. They say they're too violent or something."

"Okay... your family is weird."

"I mean, they might not be wrong about the royal guard," Hapi replied, "one of my cousins, Madstablook, had trouble with them in the past, for no real reason. What I want to know is... aren't you living with Gaster's family now?"

"Um, Semi, Wingding's father, doesn't want to get in trouble with my family," I replied.

"Oh, very well then."

"Actually, Gaster talked with us about you this morning, during school," Pristina said, "he said that you're special, and we should be careful with you. He must care about you a lot."

She sounded a little disappointed about that. But I couldn't see why.

"So, what 'issues' did you have with your family that caused you to go and live with Gaster?" Hapi asked.

"Well... to be honest, I made it sound like it's not too big of a deal, but really... my brother... he died, and then my dad... he... he just..." I sat down, and started to cry.

"I guess it's too sensitive to talk about. I'm sorry I brought it up."

Pristina sat next to me, and put her arm around me. "Hey, it's okay, we're here for you."

I wiped my eyes, and said, "Thank you. You know, my brother and I... we loved flowers. He would have loved to see these."

"Hm, what was his favorite flower?" Pristina asked.

"Buttercups. They're my favorite too, but... I'm not sure if I should like them..."

"Why?"

In response, I just shook my head.

"Buttercups... those are from the surface, right?" Hapi replied. "I heard that the king likes growing them. He even has an entire garden of them."

"Yeah, there are a lot of buttercups around New Home."

"So is that where you're from? New Home?"

"...Close to it."

"Say, Chara, I have to ask, how old are you?" Pristina asked.

"Oh, I'm twelve," I replied.

"So you're younger than us, huh," Hapi said, "Pristina and I are fourteen. Though, my cousin is your age."

"Madstablook?"

"Oh, no, darling, ...I have a lot of cousins. I'm talking about Hapstablook. He's shy, but he's got a knack for music mixing."

"Oh cool," I got up. "Thank you for showing me these flowers. I love them. I'd like to come here again sometime."

"Hey, Chara," Pristina got up, and pulled something from one of the flowers. "I know Gaster doesn't like them, but maybe grow a small one in your room." She gave me a seed she got from the flower.

"Thanks."

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

"So, how did it go?" Wingding asked when came back.

"Great," I replied. "I got a seed."

"A seed?"

"Yeah." I showed him the echo flower seed I got. "I'm going to plant this, water it, and watch it grow."

"Is that a... echo flower seed?"

"Yeah. Wingding, I know you don't-"

"There are a few flowerpots in the shed outside. You can put it in your room," Wingding interrupted, "Just don't let it grow outside. I can't stand the echoing voices."

"Oh, thanks." I went back outside, found the pot I needed, shoveled in some dirt, and put it on my desk.

Then poured some water on it, and sat down, smiling.

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Author's Note: So Chara has finally seen the Echo Flowers. And yes, Madstablook is supposed to be the Mad Dummy, so you can imagine that he didn't get in trouble with the Royal Guard for nothing. And no, he will not appear in Book 1, but Napstablook will appear again, next chapter in fact.