36

"You do realize you're the highest paid female footballer in the world right now? And you're a captain of a professional team at the age of 19? Of course some of the girls are pissed off, because their jealous" Sam tells me, we're currently on our day off. I tried to call a team bonding night but many thought against it. Mostly the European girls, because of the last practices. Theirs a lot of tension. An arguement broke out during a scrimmage, because I became a target and well.. my national teammates weren't having it.

"I don't get it, I'm not even flaunting it. I'm just doing my job."

"Not to them, they see you as bossy and arrogant" She tells me, we've blossomed a good friendship. Since we live together, and she loves my dog. Major stays with either Chris or me, and she lives with Lucy Bronze.

"We have a game tomorrow, how are we suppose to win if we can't even work as a team? That's why I wanted to do team bonding." I sigh as I throw myself on to the couch. Do I have to force a team bonding? And make the girls dislike me more. Coach is counting on me, and us to be able to work together. We play against Barcelona tomorrow, we have the most hard hitting team against us for our first game.

"I'll call it" Sam tells me, and I shake my head. I'm suppose to be the one to do it, I don't want someone having to do it for me. You know what? That's it.

"I'll be right back" I tell Sam as I get up, and make my way to the front door.

"Where are you going!"

I shut the door, and I walk to the apartment Millie is staying at. She's sharing it with Becky. If anything breaks out, I got Cap becky with me but it won't be necessary.

I knock on the door. I wait patiently for the door to open, preparing myself for the rejection face Millie gives me everytime we see each other. The door opens, and Becky gives me a smile. She welcomes me in, and I ask her where Millie's room is.

"She's been moody since this morning, just giving you a warning" nothing new for me I thought, I give Becky a thumbs up before I turn around and knock on Millies door. I hear shuffling from the otherside, finally the door opens.

"What do you want?" She asks me uneasy. I notice her eyes are red, and her shirt looks wrinkly with some wet stains. Then I realize.. I failed to be a caring captain. Everyone on this team has some kind of story, and me? Someone who was young got really lucky.. while they had to work for everything they have.

"Can I come in? I want to talk to you" I tell her as gently as I can. She nods, moving to the side to let me in.

"I came here to hopefully fix things with you, and I'm sorry.. I came out as bossy and full of myself on our first day. I should have approached matters differently, considering we don't really know each other."

"I've been a complete bitch to you while you've been easy with me.. why?"

"It's a habit I guess"

"Here I though you could careless" she tells me, I look away from her and notice tissues on her bed.

"You've been crying" I state, and she gives me a straight face.

"No my eyes just sweat" she sarcastically tells me, and I nod. Rough start.

"Why?" I ask her, and she scoffs. I sit on the bed, and face her raising my eyebrow. I cross my arms, I can be here all night if I have too.

"Look Millie, I may only have 2 years of Captain experience in high school, but I'm not going to be one that brushes people off. I care about you, and everyone else on this team. I have an open door policy, and I'm here to hear you out whenever" I tell her, as her shoulders relax from. Freshman year I had a very lousy captain, and I promised myself I wouldn't be like that. She walks over to her bed, and closes her laptop.

"I just miss my family.. I've always played in England, just feels weird to be away I guess" she tells me sadly, and I know how she feels. It's going to be a long season, and with National duty.. it'll be a while until we see our family.

"I totally underst-"

"No you don't, you have this perfect life" she tells me with tears in her eyes.

"I do understand.. I left my mom behind in the States, she's by herself. My brothers in college. So everyday I wake up.. I think about her. It hurts even more, knowing I'm even over here.. where her and my dad grew up for most of their lives." Her face softens as I tell her about my problems. Her hand lands on my hand, that was resting on the beds edge.

"Where's your father?"

"Well I usually like to think.." I take a deep breathe, and sigh "he's talking God's ear off about me" I chuckle as tear slips down my cheek. "Enough about me.. Just know that I'm sure no matter how far you go, or how close you are.. They are very proud of you. If you ever need anything, my doors always open." I tell her as I remove my hand from under hers, and I pat her hand gently. I get up, and I walk to the door.

"Team Bondings at 7:30" I turn around to tell her. She nods, giving me a light smile, up to a good start.

"Yes boss" she tells me, and I chuckle walking out the door. I close behind me, and I walk to the living room. Becky's on the couch, with tea in one hand and a book in the other. Classic Becky.

"I'll see you later!" She tells me as I walk to the door.

"So it went well I'm assuming?" Sam asks me as I walk into the apartment, she holds her phone out to show me the messages that were just sent. Millie told the team groupchat that there will be team bonding at my room at 7:30.

"Mission accomplish dude!" She tells me, we high five. Hopefully this will be really good for the team.