23; it goes downhill from here

Start from the beginning

"Who could it be?" Tzuyu asked herself. She pressed the button to call Sana again. "I need to go, Sana. Someone's calling me."

Sana hummed a yes as Tzuyu ended the call.

"Hello?" Tzuyu asked the unknown number.

Through the phone she could hear sobs. A woman was crying, and sounded as if she was in pain.

Emotional pain.

"Mum?" Tzuyu gulped. "Mum, answer me - WHAT HAPPENED?!"

Her mum sobbed through the phone, her voice nasally and her throat in pain.

"Why didn't you answer the phone six months ago? Who was it that answered? I couldn't find your number anymore!"

"Mum, what are you talking about?" Tzuyu panicked, gripping her hand tighter on the steering wheel. "I've always had the same number."

"Tzuyu, when I called you six months ago, some other person answered. I thought you had changed your number. So I tried to find your new number and I couldn't find it."

Tzuyu rubbed her temples as she took a hand off of the steering wheel. "Mum, what is this all about? You're crying because you've found my number now? Mum?"

"No, Tzuyu." Her mum said through large gulps of air.

"Then what?"

"Tzuyu, your dad got into a car accident six months ago."

Tzuyu opened her eyes wide. "W-what? Why didn't you tell me?!"

"I TOLD YOU BEFORE, TZUYU. I COULDN'T FIND YOUR NUMBER!"

"I'm sorry, okay? I'll figure it out soon. But what do you mean dad got into an accident?"

"He was on his way to work, when a lorry hit him. He's been in a coma for the last few months."

Tzuyu gulped as her head began to hurt. She held on tighter to the steering wheel, her vision beginning to falter and blur.

"Tzuyu, are you still there?"

"Y-yeah." Tzuyu mumbled. "So why did you call? Do you need money for dad's bill?"

Her mum cried again.

"No Tzuyu.

"Your dad, well...

"He died."

Tzuyu's tears started flowing out, and she couldn't see anything.

Her dad had died?

"You see, we ran out of savings for his bill. We tried to get in contact with you but we had no way. So the last thing we could do was remove his life support.

"Your dad had woken up for a few minutes, as he was dying. He said he loved you. He wants you to be happy, even if you didn't know his situation.

"I'm so sorry, Tzuyu. We should have worked harder to get in touch with you."

This was all her fault.

Maybe if she had answered that call, she could have paid for his bill and he would have survived.

She punched the dashboard of the car several times, suddenly letting go of the driving wheel.

"DAD!" She screamed through her tears. "I'M SO SORRY, COME BACK!" She cried out in pain as the car began to swerve.

But she couldn't handle it anymore.

Her head and heart were in pain, and she could no longer see what was on the road.

She didn't know where she was.

Until a large honk came from a truck heading her way.

She didn't see or hear it until it was too late.

CRASH.

"Tzuyu?" Her mum screamed through the phone. "TZUYU!"

Which leads us to the present moment.

Sana held onto Tzuyu's hand, looking at the monitor.

Sana looked as if she had just come out from a horror movie.

Her hair was in a mess, she had dark circles under her eyes, her eyes and cheeks were puffy, and her clothes looked ragged and old.

Nayeon entered the room, holding a bag of takeaway in one hand.

"Sana, please eat. It's been days." Nayeon sighed as she placed the food on the table.

Sana said nothing and breathed heavily as she looked at Tzuyu's broken and bruised face.

She felt tears coming out of her eyes as she squeezed her chest.

"This is all my fault." She sobbed as she turned to Nayeon. "If only I had told Tzuyu that her dad had gotten into a car crash before, we wouldn't be in this mess.

And Tzuyu wouldn't have lost her dad." Sana cried.

Nayeon patted Sana's head as the younger girl leaned her head on Nayeon's shoulder.

"Well, you can't do anything about it now." Nayeon stated, rubbing Sana's back. They both sat in silence for a while as Nayeon looked out of the window, thinking of what to say. "You know, when someone is in a coma, they can still hear you apparently. Say what you want to say to Tzuyu. Let it all out."

"And what if she hates me?" Sana panicked.

"Well, she's stuck like that. It's not as if she can physically attack you or emotionally hurt you, isn't it?"

Sana nodded. "I guess."

Nayeon stood up as she headed to the door.

"I'll leave you two here. Jeongyeon and I need to talk." Nayeon turned around one last time to Sana. "Tell her everything you want to say."

Sana watched as Nayeon left and turned back to Tzuyu.

"How do I begin?"

She sighed.

"Well, for starters..."