Chapter 19: haunting past

Start from the beginning

What the fuck was that?

Only a few minutes after creepy guy left, the rest of the guys who were downstairs came up and left. None of them stopped to talk to me, which I appreciated. This time, when a pair of arms wrapped around my waist, I melted into them and smiled. Tom nuzzled his face against my neck. I could feel him smile. "Good morning," he mumbled.

"G'morning," I said back. I was still standing in the kitchen, this time making some toast. When I finished spreading peanut butter on it, I turned to face Tom. He trapped me between himself and the counter, and I just grinned. "What's up?" I asked.

"C'mon," he said, pushing himself away from me. "Let's go upstairs." I nodded and took a bite of my toast before following him upstairs. When we got to the top of the stairs, April walked out of Harrison's room. She sent me a wide eyed look before I just turned and walked into Tom's room. He closed the door behind us, and I walked over to the balcony. I sat criss cross applesauce on the daybed, and Tom quickly joined me. He sat behind me, spreading his legs so I was between them. I leaned onto his chest and took another bite of my toast. Tom sniffed and wiped his nose with the back of his hand.

"We need to talk about what happened last night," he said. I turned my head to look at him, feeling like my heart dropped to my stomach. This was it. This was where he told me last night meant nothing and he wanted me to stay away from him again. This was where everything fell apart. I turned to face him and finished the rest of my toast. If he was going to turn me down, I wanted him to do it to my face.

Tom sighed and stroked my cheek. I leaned into his touch. "It's dangerous, (Y/N)," he said. "I won't lie to you."

"What do you mean?" I asked, tilting my head to the side.

"The right thing for you to do would be to stay away from me," he said. "To leave as soon as this all goes away."

"Do you-" I took a deep breath. "Are you upset that we did what we did?"

"No," Tom said, shaking his head. "No. Not at all, petal." He put his hand on my cheek, and I hadn't even realized I wasn't looking at him until he tilted my head up.

"All I'm saying," he said, "is that I want you to know what being with me entails. Now, you being associated with me isn't just fake. It's a real thing, and this puts an even bigger target on your back. That's why I'm saying the right thing for you to do would be to pretend last night didn't happen. It's not what I want, but I want you to know you have the option."

I shook my head and stood up, adjusting how we were sitting so I was now on his lap. He immediately put his hands on my hips. "I've been doing the right thing my whole life." I paused. "Well, save a few one night stands here or there." Tom laughed, and I smiled and tangled my fingers in the curls at the nape of his neck. "I think it's about time I live a little, yeah?"

Tom smiled and stroked his thumb along my cheekbone again. "I like that answer," Tom said. I smiled and leaned forward, pressing a kiss to his lips. When we pulled away from each other, I noticed he looked nervous. I thought his eyes were red, but I convinced myself I was imagining it. "I want-" He started, then stopped to clear his throat. "I want you to know that, I, um-" He licked his lips, and his eyes darted around the room.

"Tom?" I said, putting my hand on his cheek. He looked at me and took a deep breath.

"I've always got your six, okay?" he said. I smiled and pressed my lips to his again.