Ch. 26 Exams

Chapter 26. THE EXAMS 

Draco’s POV

The next few months passed in a whirlwind of homework, essays, and happiness. It was weird, being happy, without anything else on your mind. I had been happy before, yes, but now I knew that there was nothing coming to kill me, and that all was well. Hermione and my relationship grew even stronger, and we were almost inseparable. Final exams were approaching quickly, so the professors were really piling on the homework. A week before the O.W.L.S and N.E.W.T.S started, they gave us a much needed break on the work, and focused more on reviewing in class. I had no doubts that Hermione and I would pass (with flying colors), but I was a bit concerned with what I was going to do afterwards. No way was I being an auror. And working in a shop was dull. The ministry might do, however. I’d have to look into that.

“Draco!” Hermione called out from our shared commons room. “Come help me study for Charms!”

“Mione, you’ll be fine.” I told her, but I went over to help anyway. “Charms is one of you’re best subjects. You’ll ace it tomorrow.”

She stuck out her tongue and handed me a sheet of paper. “Those are the ones I don’t know very well.” she explained.

After an hour of quizzing each other on spells, we went down to the Great Hall for dinner.

“I can’t believe this year is almost over.” I said, piling food onto my plate. “I’m going to miss it here.”

“So will I.” Hermione said, pushing food around her plate. “I love this place.”

“Mmm.” I let myself think of the future for a moment, but, knowing that it would only make me anxious, quickly changed the subject to something lighter. After dinner, we made our way back upstairs and collapsed on her bed.

“Excited for the exams?” I asked. With anyone else I would have been joking, but Hermione legitimately liked exams.

“Actually, yes.” she said, a smile on her face. “I’m wondering how hard it will be. They always seemed pretty easy in the past.”

I snorted. “Right. Easy. That’s the word I would use to describe the most stressful time of the year.”

She flicked me. “You know all the stuff.”

“Yeah… But only because you helped me.”

“True.” she acknowledged. “Very true.”

I glanced at the clock. Ten forty five. “How about we get some sleep? We were both up late last night.” I suggested.

“Great idea!” she kicked off her shoes and wiggled under the covers. I chuckled and followed her example. When we were both situated comfortably, she leaned into my chest and wrapped her arms around me. “I love you.” she mumbled, pressing a soft kiss to my lips.

“I love you too.” I said, hugging her close to me. I drifted off to sleep.

****

“BEEP BEEP BEEP!”

I bolted upright, wondering what the hell was making that noise.

“BEEP BEEP BEEP!”

“Hermione!” I complained, covering my ears. “It hurts!”

“Oh, don’t be such a baby!” she yawned. “It’s not that loud.