Ch. 22 Bad Feelings

Draco’s POV

As I strolled along the snowy winter streets, my mind wandered over everything that had happened over the past few days. I felt like I wasn’t in control of my body anymore. I sighed. Why couldn’t I just have been born into a normal family? I sighed again and walked faster. A few minutes later, I decided to go to the manor, just for a little while. I seriously needed some alone time. I found a shadowed little nook and dissaparated to the door. As always, Grimble was at the door, waiting.

“Hi Grimble.” I yawned as I walked in. The house elf wrung his tiny hands as he looked at me.

“Mistress left a letter for Master.” he explained. “Mistress said that Master would come home soon, and to give Master this.” He handed me a parcel. I took the package up to my room and collapsed on my bed. The dark colors soothed my mind as I laid there. I looked at the package and wondered what it could be. How could she have known I would come back? I ripped off the paper and found a small mahogany box waiting inside. I ran my hand across it and flipped it over. It was smooth, with no visible opening. I muttered some spells, but none of them seemed to work. I stared at it with curiosity, wondering what was inside. I held it between my palms, searching it with my eyes for any possible way of opening it. On the side, written in small, spidery handwriting, was this: “December 28, you’ll know when.” I ran my fingers over the indented words as I puzzled over the date. It was December 28, sure enough. As my fingers ran along the last word, when, the box seemed to shudder and shake. I placed it in the center of my bed as it separated into two halves.

I carefully lifted up the top and inside was a key. Just a small key, not even metal. It was made of wood. Wood. I mean, seriously? Who had a wooden key? I slipped it in my pocket and walked moodily back downstairs, my foul mood slowly returning. As I walked through the door, a rather pleasant thought hit me. Hermione had totally blown off Ron for me. She was telling me earlier going to Hogsmeade with me to see him, but as soon as I had told her about my visions she had totally forgotten about him. I felt better for a minute, but then  I realized that I was taking her away from any chance of ever being on good terms with him; not that I cared about the git, but I knew she would. It wasn’t fair for me to go and steal her away from everyone. My bad mood came back again. I walked out the door and down to the lake, hoping that the solitude would clear my mind.

I paced back and forth, watching the still water. Evidently this trip wasn’t doing ME any good, so I apparated back to Hermione’s house. I appeared next to the couch and plopped down. Then I began to ask myself again, why? Just why? I’ve never been one for self pity, but seriously? Hadn’t my life been bad enough? Of course, just as my headache was beginning to fade, I felt that familiar tugging sensation in the corner of my mind.

“No.” I mumbled, trying to concentrate on staying where I was. “No no no. I am NOT leaving.”

“Draco?” Hermione called. “Is that you?” My head began to throb. “Draco?” she questioned, walking out from the kitchen to see if it was indeed me.

“Ahh!” I moaned. I felt like there were giant nails being driven into my head. I couldn’t think, I couldn’t speak. I whimpered and curled up into a ball on the couch. Just before my spirit/mind/consciousness disappeared, I saw Hermione kneel down next to me and grab my hand. But I was powerless to stop this. I simply couldn’t do it. It is comparable, I suppose, to holding your breath. Eventually, you have to let it out, to give up. Just as quickly as I was gone, I was back. It was odd, because I couldn’t remember going anywhere or seeing anything.

I sat up and massaged my temples. “Ugh…” I groaned. “Hermione, what time is it?” She didn’t answer. “Hermione?” Still no answer. I reached over and tapped her on the shoulder. No response. Of course, as my brain was processing this, it also realized that my hand was slightly blue and just so happened to be see through. “Oh my god.” I mumbled to myself. “No. This CANNOT be happening.” I was like a ghost. I could see my body lying there, on the couch, very much alive, yet my spirit was here, separated from it. “Well this is just perfect.” I grumbled. “And I have absolutely no idea what I’m going to do.”