What is it to be a Monster?

Start from the beginning

Daire had finished getting ready for the party and was planning on leaving to meet up with Lydia and Allison to help with last-minute preparations when she heard her aunt come home. Daire waited until she heard her aunt enter her bedroom before following her. She glanced at her aunt's reflection in her full-length mirror and what she saw confirmed her fear. 

"Why are you here?"

Daire paused at the doorway into her aunt's bedroom, "because I wanted to see you."

Her Aunt Victoria scoffed, "please, like I would believe that. Not after what you and your little friends did last night."

Daire leaned against the door frame, facing her aunt who was perched on the edge of the bed. " It wasn't like you know me that well, to begin with, so don't try to start now. It's kinda insulting."

Her aunt's gaze narrowed.

"I came here because I'm responsible for what happens next, whatever your choice will be," Victoria's expression soured as Daire talked, "but before you make any rash decisions I wanted to try to talk."

Victoria tightened her clasped hands, "there's nothing to talk about Daire, Nous chassons ceux qui nous chassent, it's our duty as the Argent family-"

"Don't feed me that bullshit!" Daire interrupted, "' you hunt those who hunt us', I get it. Mom drilled the family mantra into my head since I was seven. You hunt and kill the supernatural because they 'hunt and kill humans' yet how does that not make us monsters? What's wrong with not being human?"

Victoria's gaze narrowed, despite Daire's efforts to hide it, her secret was exposed last night. Her life depended on whether Victoria would tell the rest of the family- that Daire wasn't human anymore.

" I do not regret what I've done to protect my family, to protect Allison."

Daire rubbed at the scars on the inside of her forearms, the reminders of the lives she took to protect the Argents. Reminders that she was a monster long before now.

"And I don't regret what I've done to protect my friends, my family. You were trying to kill him Victoria, why?" Daire asked despite already knowing the answer, "Because he's dating your daughter?"

"I was doing my duty as a mother-"

"You were trying to murder another mother's child," Daire interjected.

"Does not matter now, you and that Derek Hale stopped me-permanently."

Daire shifted her weight, "So that's it? You've made your decision?"

"It wasn't a decision, to begin with."

Daire's nails bit into her skin, "You're just going to die for your ideals? For a code that is cowardly and corrupt?"

"I was born a human and I will die a human."

Daire huffed out a breath, "It'll break Allison - losing you,"

Victoria turned her head to face Daire, "She is strong, she will live."

"True, but she won't be the same," Daire took a step closer, "you don't have to do this. You can choose her, choose to still be a mother."

Victoria shook her head, "I am a hunter and a hunter must remain human."

Daire huffed out a breath and pushed her hair out of her face.

"I didn't want this to happen, you know," Daire said, her gaze on the early sunset through the window, "I just wanted to save Scott."

"You want to know if I told."

Daire's gaze didn't leave the window, "yes."

"Your grandfather and the others still believe you are still a little broken human weapon," Daire's eyes widened and she looked at her aunt, "do not ask me why I didn't tell, I don't have an answer."

There was a knock on the door, Daire's Uncle Chris stood behind her.

Victoria's icy blue gaze locked onto Daire's, "your secret will die with me, now leave,"

Daire did as she was told, her eyes lingering on the bite mark she left on Victoria's shoulder.

She could still hear her aunt's heartbeat as she made her way to her room.

"I'm okay, it'll be okay, it'll be okay, I'm oka-"

Daire stopped her little mantra when she could no longer hear the heartbeat, but her uncle's sobs could be heard even with her bedroom door shut.

"This is my fault," Daire muttered standing at her bureau looking at her reflection, "another life lost because of me," Daire opened a small wooden box that she kept hidden within her sock drawer, "I was right- I've been a monster long before now." Daire took out the small silver blade from the wooden box and sliced it against the skin of her left forearm, "one more kill- one more scar, one more remind-"

"What are you doing!?!"

Daire looked up to see Isaac standing behind her through her mirror, he had snuck into her room again through the bedroom window.

"Isaac, I-"

He didn't give her time to speak before he was pressing the hem of his shirt against her forearm, "I came because you've been acting weird since the other night but why are you-"

"She's dead, Allison's mom is dead because of me."

The pressure increased on her arm.

"Daire, this is not your fault. It was her choice."

"But she's dead, maybe- maybe I am a monster,"

"No," his voice was stern and Daire couldn't help but look up at him, "you did it to save Scott because she was going to kill him."

"Bu-but," Daire started, her voice wobbling, tears threatening to spill as she stared accusingly at her marred arms.

Isaac's thumb gently rubbed against her scarred skin, "you're not a monster, you weren't one when you were human and you aren't one now," his eyes made contact with hers and his face softened, "you're crying over a woman who tried to kill your best friend, you didn't kill her right then and there. You made sure that Scott got out alive, her death was her choice- you didn't force it on her."

Daire leaned her head against his chest, a shaky sigh shuttered through her. Isaac laid his own forehead on the top of her head.

His warm breath whispering, "You're no monster Daire, you're okay, it'll be okay."

And Daire began to believe it. 

🌙

 I'm back and surviving the apocalypse! Hope all of you enjoyed this chapter a lot of shit went down and things are beginning to get really tense for Daire. What do you guys think will happen next with her family? Will Allison and Daire be able to fix their relationship or will it continue to worsen? Also will Isaac ever clearly tell Daire his feelings???? As always please don't be a silent reader I absolutely love reading your comments and I hope you are all staying healthy and safe! 

YOSH until next time!

Ash