91 Nightfall II

Tealas skidded to a stop over Sern, one foot on each side of his prone form.

Ranloo slowed down and approached carefully, his fangs pounding, everything a red haze. He was on fire. The hunter lifted a foot and stepped down on Sern's back, his eyes on Ranloo.

To Ranloo's distress, Sern didn't react. How badly hurt was he? Black, baleful hate welled up as he stared at the hunter. That man would die. Ranloo cursed under his breath in elven. The crunch of snow reached his ears and he glanced sideways. Odefin approached, his axe in his hands again. Ranloo heard the faint groans of Enjamon behind him as well. The new hunter wouldn't rejoin the fight any time soon, but he still lived.

'Let the boy go. You have hurt him enough.' Ranloo voice trembled with rage.

Tealas chuckled and shook his head, a wild look in his eyes. He waved the sword in front of him, pointed it towards Ranloo. 'No. You have to pay for what you have done. You need to lay down that weapon.'

'Not until you release him!'

'He's a killer.' Tealas eyes swivelled sideways for a second.

A mistake. Ranloo didn't need more of a warning. Odefin spoke the prayer and light flared, bathing the area with brightness. But Ranloo had already moved and they called out in surprise.

He landed from the high jump, the impact jarring his injured back and shoulders, stabbing through his hurt legs.

'So, you're getting used to being a monster,' Tealas commented.

Ranloo snorted, pretended to be unhurt. 'How did you find him?' he demanded, needing to know, red eyes flicking back and forth between the hunters.

'Easy. We had him marked,' Tealas laughed. 'You gave him to us.'

Ranloo trembled, it took all his willpower to simply stand still. 'What do you mean? How?'

The hunter lowered the sword point towards Sern's back. His eyes shifted to the boy for a second, then back up again. 'Did you forget the mages?'

'They're not here!" Ranloo yelled and stepped closer, fearing the hunter would plunge the blade down.

Tealas eyes narrowed. 'Don't come closer, vampire. And they don't need to be here.' He glanced down again. 'They've already done what they had to do.'

Who was responsible for this, Ranloo wondered through his rage. When had it happened? His thoughts reeled. When had they been in contact with anyone? Those thugs? The woman. Sern had gone to meet her alone. 'It was that mage woman! Ilsie. Wasn't it?' That must be it. Hate burned bright and hot as he stared at Tealas.

The hunter's eyes widened, betraying him.

'If you let him go now, I'll let you live,' Ranloo hissed as slow footsteps approached from behind.

'No,' Tealas growled, pale eyes staring. 'You are an abomination. You need to die. All of you need to die!'

'He's not a vampire!' Ranloo screamed.

'You'll make him into one soon enough.'

'Never!'

Odefin's steps were right behind him, but he couldn't tear his eyes off Sern, the sword above his unprotected neck. He trembled. Saw Lindhinin in front of his eyes again, slit throat and bleeding out. Shaking, he stepped forward.

'Stay right there! Not another step,' Tealas threatened, adjusting his grip on the swordhilt.

'Please!' Ranloo held up his left hand, dropped the sword to the ground. A wild smile flashed across the hunter's face. 'Let him go.' He couldn't bear to lose another friend. He'd rather die himself.