Chapter 4: First Lessons

Magsimula sa umpisa

The only thing I really took from that was that Gaster was twelve... the same age Asriel. It wasn't something I should have been concerned about, but that thought didn't leave my head. Gaster, on the other hand, seemed to figure out what exactly he meant.

"Father... you're not saying I have to..." Gaster replied.

"Yes. Wingding you have enough free time on your hands. I want you to teach Chara," Semi confirmed.

"But Father!"

"Wingding, it's not like I am going to make you do this for the entirety of each week. Both of you will need time to relax. Even Chara needs to learn. Besides, I'll think this might be a good way for the two of you to get to know each other better."

"I will not help the human!"

"Wingding, please, give it a chance, at least. Not all humans could possibly be that bad."

I looked down, feeling guilty about what I have done. I glimpsed at Gaster, wondering what he was thinking.

He glared at me, then said, "fine. Tonight, after I return home, we start your education, human."

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

"You're doing it wrong. You're forgetting to-"

"I know! I know!" I yelled. Gaster had begun teaching the minute he returned from school. He had started with some reading and writing, but after I couldn't get that, he tired math next. That wasn't going well either.

"Human, if you'd just listen to me-" Gaster started, but I interrupted.

"You're making this too hard, I don't get it!"

There was a knock on the door. "You kids okay? Can I come in," I heard Semi from the other side.

"Yeah," I answered.

Semi walked into my room (which was their guest room, until they repurposed it for me), and took a look at the scene. Schoolbooks and pencils were scattered on my bed. Me and Gaster were sitting on the edge of it, Gaster reading from one of the books, and me holding a notebook.

"Is everything going okay?" Semi asked.

"She's too stupid to get it," Gaster replied.

"Wingding, she isn't stupid, just give her time, she'll get it."

"He's making it really hard," I said.

"Let me see that book," Semi said. Gaster handed him the book, and Semi studied it for a bit. "Hm, seems alright for her learning level... Chara, how did Toriel teach you?"

"She..." I had to think about it for a few seconds. "She told me to take as time as I needed. She helped me through it when I asked for it."

"And has Gaster done any of that?"

I nodded my head.

Semi turned to Gaster. "Wingding, I think you might be a little too hard on her. Don't force her to learn, give her time to take it in, and if she doesn't understand something, walk her through it, slowly..."

"How is supposed to learn if she never makes any progress?" Gaster replied.

"I think you're misunderstanding what both of you need to do," Semi told him.

Gaster growled and said, "lesson's over." then he made some weird movements with his hands, and left the room.

I fell back on my bed, and rolled over onto my stomach. "I don't know if I can go another day with him as my teacher."

"He just needs time to get used to you, and understand what you need," Semi replied.

"What do I do? He hates me, he'll never make it easy for me." I started to cry.

Semi thought about that for a moment. "How about, then, you show him that you are worth his attention. If he won't be nice to you, try being nice to him." He got up to leave, but before he went through the door, he turned around and said, "instead of making enemies, maybe try making friends. See if that works."

He left me alone to dwell on that. I got up and looked at the books again, then I reached into my pocket, and pulled out my recipe notebook.

I opened it up and turned to my mom's butterscotch-cinnamon pie.

Okay then, from this moment on, I'll do whatever it takes to befriend Gaster. I'm am determined to make him my friend.

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Author's Note: So, now Chara is getting her education from Gaster, and she also wants to try to befriend Gaster with her cookbook she made while baking with Toriel.

It does make sense to me that, as a version of Chara that is supposed to generally nicer, she would cook with Toriel, so this version kept a record of all the recipes they baked in a small notebook. I don't intend to make a major point of the fact Chara likes to cook, but it will be the focus of the next chapter.