Chapter 2: Recent Memories

Start from the beginning

My dad, Asgore, was even taller than my mom, standing at seven feet with a broad frame, with large curved horns, a golden beard, and the same yellow-gold eyes as his son's. He was wearing his gold armor, with a purple cape and golden shoulder plates connected by the winged-circle of the Delta Rune on top, and his gold crown on his head.

In front of the throne was a single golden flower. A Buttercup, which was both my and Asriel's favorite flower. Somehow, some of the seeds stuck to me before I fell into the Underground. Asgore was able to use them to grow these golden beauties around the house.

As monster tradition goes, funerals were held by spreading the monster's dust over their favorite thing. In this case, a flower that Asriel and I had loved for its beauty, and symbol of hope, something from the surface.

...But it was also the same kind of flower Asriel ate to poison himself, the very ones I was supposed to eat.

"Asriel, it was too soon," Toriel said.

"What are we going to tell the kingdom?" Asgore asked.

Me and Asriel were the hope of the Underground (even though most monsters never have even seen me). The monsters hadn't been informed of his death yet, but it had to happen at some point.

I just stood there, staring at the flower, crying. Eventually, I couldn't handle the guilt anymore.

"Mom, dad, I-I need to tell you something," I said, sobbing.

"Chara?" Toriel asked, "is this about Asriel? What's wrong?"

I nodded. "Remember when Asriel and I tried making that pie, but we mistook cups of butter with the flower, and dad got really sick...?"

I told everything. Our plan to escape the Underground and collect more souls to break the Barrier. Me changing my mind and Asriel taking up the task instead, despite my not wanting him to.

When I was done, I broke down crying. "It's my fault. He's dead because of me."

Toriel was in shock, and soon knelt down and comforted me. She was quiet for a minute, until she said, "it's not your fault Chara. You were thinking of the good of us all. These are hard choices to make, a lot of responsibility. Too much for a child. You made the right decision, not eating those flowers. I wish Asriel had seen it the same way."

Asgore was quiet, contemplating something. Then he spoke, "maybe they were right, Toriel."

"Asgore?"

"Our children were supposed to be the hope of the Underground, but what can they do on their own? I know they tried but... it wasn't worth it. We need to take action ourselves, not leave it to children."

Asgore knelt down, his hand hovering over the flower. "We need to begin gathering human souls. Once we have enough, we can break the barrier, and return to the surface."

"And do you think the humans will take that kindly? Killing their own. We all know what happened the last time, the war. Can we really go through something like that again!?"

I got up and stepped back. "Gathering human souls? L-like mine?"

Asgore turned his attention to me. "Chara, listen-"

"No! I thought you were my family! I- I thought-" I stopped when I realized, their son died for me, because of me. I practically killed him...

I killed their only son. Why would they want someone like me as their daughter?

Without hesitation, I ran. I ran out of the throne room, from my father, one whom I had betrayed, and no longer wanted me. "CHARA!" He called out, but I didn't look back.

I just kept running. Running out of a home that didn't want me, running out of New Home. I kept running, not looking back.

And as I ran, I sobbed, and my thoughts just kept racing. You killed your brother. You screwed up your one chance to have a real family. They don't want you, a murderer. You're horrible! YOU DON'T DESERVE TO EXIST!

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

I woke up in a cold sweat. The dream was so real, I thought...

Then I remembered, that all happened. It was so recent, so fresh in my mind, yet it felt so unreal...

How could I have let this happen?

"So you're awake", spoke a familiar voice. I looked over, finding Wingding leaning against the wall.

I remembered, Semi brought me here, to his house, and told me to rest. He lent me his guest room so I could get some sleep.

"Did you want something?" I asked the young skeleton.

"Oh, not me," he replied, "but my father... he wishes to speak with you."

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Author's Note: So, Chara was dreaming about her past that just happened, giving more details on what happened between her and her brother, Asriel, and why she is in the situation she is in now.

So this is different from the main story of Undertale, where Chara did poison herself (himself, themselves, depending on what gender you consider Chara to be, but I consider her to be a girl, so she will be in this story), Asriel did absorb her soul, and they did make it to the Surface, and well, if you know the story of Undertale, well you know how well that went.

But now what is going to happen now? Asgore still is going to start collecting human souls (which, by the way, I'm not fully sure I could've written that very well. I'd love to be disproven, but I'm not sure), and now Chara is in hiding. What happens next?