Chapter Fourteen - Pranks Galore

Halley was awake before anyone else in the Gryffindor tower. Today was a very special day, it was Fred and George's 16th birthday and she had everything planned out perfectly. The two cakes she'd asked the house elves to make were neatly packed in boxes on the common room table and labelled Fred and George respectively. Halley carefully carried them up the stairs to the boys' dormitory and knocked quietly, waiting for Lee to open the door. The two of them had been planning the twins birthday for a year and they were convinced it would be the best birthday to date.

"Ready?" Lee whispered excitedly and took one of the cakes from her hands.

"You bet," Hal whispered back and rattled a box of special birthday candles which she'd bought over the summer. The pair walked over to the sides of the twins' beds, stuck kazoos in their mouths then blew as hard as they could, waking every resident of that dorm and probably others.

Fred, who'd been sleeping in a very weird position, ended up hitting his head on one of the bedposts meanwhile George had jumped out of his covers and was sprawled out on the floor looking alarmed and mildly grumpy. "Happy birthday!!" Lee and Halley yelled and blew the kazoos again just for fun.

The two other Gryffindor males who'd been sleeping peacefully just grumbled various shut ups and piss offs then hid their heads under their pillows. Fred and George, however, were grinning brightly once the shock and sleepiness had worn off. "Happy birthday, brother," Fred said sticking out his hand to George who slapped it twice with his own then fist-bumped.

"Right back at you, brother."

"Cake time lads," Lee said practically wetting himself with glee. The four of them sat on the floor in between Fred and George's beds and they placed the cakes in front of them. Halley took out two handfuls of candles and stuck an equal amount in each cake, then lit them with the tip of her wand. Fred's cake was caramel as that was his favourite, and it was decorated with small black fondant dung bombs which exploded sprinkles when touched. George's cake was classic chocolate, his favourite and decorated with white chocolate beaters bats which chased edible silver ball bearings around. The two ginger lads looked at the cakes in awe then up at Halley and Lee who were smiling like a pair of idiots.

"Well go on then blow out your candles."

Fred and George shared identical grins then blew on the flickering candles...

"What?"

They blew again but the candles just danced teasingly having defied both puffs of air.

"Oh come on it doesn't take that long to blow out some candles or are you two really getting that old?" Halley teased, which made the two gingers look at the cakes like a new challenge. Lee was practically wetting himself on her other side and when they weren't looking, Hal sent him a glare that gave the boy eerie reminders of her McGonagall blood.

"Alright Black come clean, what did you do?" George huffed when it became apparent that they were not going to blow these candles out. Fred just sat there pouting a little at the cake because he just really wanted to eat it already.
Halley smiled innocently and lent over and blew the candles out without any trouble at all then sat back. "It really wasn't that hard."

Lee sniggered into his jumper which earnt him a glare from the twins. "Okay okay, enough of that, we have your presents downstairs so grab your cakes and let's go already." Hal jumped up, and by jumped I meant groaned like an old lady and cracked her back, then pulled Lee along with her, by the back of his jumper, so they could do presents.

"What'd you get us?" They said simultaneously as they sat down in front of the small pile of gifts on the table near the fire. Halley was grateful for the heat, she really struggled to keep herself warm in winter. "Why don't you open them and find out."