Chapter 28: Fall of the QED Club (Part 2)

Magsimula sa umpisa

"The clubroom isn't safe," sabi niya bago siya nagtungo sa hagdanan. Dumistansiya ako nang kaunti dahil ramdam kong nag-iinit na siya sa galit. "Let's find a place where those piercing stares won't reach us. Tell Jamie and Alistair to meet us on the rooftop."

Sumunod ako sa kaniya sa taas matapos sabihan ang dalawa pang kasama namin. Pagdating doon, sinipa niya ang pinto na agad bumigay. Simula noong may nagtangkang magpakamatay rito, ginawang off-limits na ang lugar na ito sa mga estudyante.

Kung kanina'y maaraw pa, ngayo'y unti-unti nang kumukulimlim.

"So that's why Zoren asked us those questions yesterday!" Ibinato niya ang diyaryo sa sahig. "By the way, where's Jamie and Alistair? Aren't they on campus yet?"

Zoey, Loki, not Zoren. But it did not matter now.

"I've already told them to proceed to the rooftop and not the clubroom." Pinulot ko ang diyaryo at iniladlad 'yon para buong mabasa ang news article It started off with a lead about our club's success in closing cases on campus. And then . . .

THE QED Club has risen to prominence after saving Clark High from bomb threats. However, their credibility is now in question after some students came forward to reveal their scheme.

Founded in 2016 by then Grade 10 student Loki Mendez, the detective club has become the go-to place of students, teachers, and staff. Even the campus police has reportedly sought for their assistance in some cases.

Last week, the club received commendation from the student council for their heroic act in the bomb threat incident. They were also invited to grace the cover of the CLARION's magazine issue.

However, some students approached the CLARION and claimed that a couple of cases had been staged to catapult the club to fame.

Benjamin Tenorio, a Grade 10 student, said that he had been threatened by the club to strap a bomb to his body. He added that the incident was staged by the club to "make themselves look like heroes."

"Ayaw kong ma-involve sa kanilang plano, pero b-in-lackmail nila ako kaya wala akong nagawa kundi sumunod," Tenorio said. "Hindi raw ako dapat matakot na sumabog 'yong bomba kasi ililigtas ako ng kanilang dalawang kasama."

The two club members, identified by Tenorio as Lorelei Rios and Jamie Santiago, came to the library where they "rescued him from the threat."

"There's no way a bunch of high school students can deactivate a bomb," Tenorio added. "Kaya malakas ang kutob kong kasabwat ang dalawang babae sa plot na 'yon. They're in it together."

My goodness! How could he accuse us of staging the bomb threat? Mamutla-mutla pa siya't halos himatayin noong dine-defuse namin ang bomba sa katawan niya!

Huminga muna ako nang malalim para pakalmahin ang sarili ko. I moved on to the next paragraph where a familiar name popped up.

Varsity player Adonis Abellana supported Tenorio's claim against the club. He said the club president had asked him to blackmail some of his female friends with the use of sensitive photos.

"They went to my apartment to convince me. No'ng sinabi kong ayaw kong gawin 'yon, bigla akong inatake ng kanilang president. Tinapakan niya ako at halos durugin niya ang collarbone ko. Wala akong nagawa kundi sumunod," he recounted.

Abellana had his right shoulder checked after being attacked by Loki Mendez. His medical records showed that his collarbone was fractured.

That was not the first time Mendez had assaulted a student, according to a source who requested anonymity. He apparently has a "history of violence."