Chapter 3- Dinner and mood swings

049 looked at the dinner for awhile after it was served. There was a scoop of white rice, a large slice of salmon, and sunny mixed vegetables, with milk as a drink.

He continued to look at it. At what point did it become staring?

035 knew exactly what was going on inside of his head at that moment.

"Eat up. The whole tray is yours."
He said, smiling as always.

049 looked up at him, simply stunned.

"You're sure..?" 049 asked, somewhat nervously

"Would everyone be eating if I weren't?" 035 replied, nonchalantly

049 thought it very plausible. He took his chance and ate.

It was really good, and he practically forgot to chew.
He was hungry, and he was malnurished, 035 actually felt a strange sense of pride that he got his new friend to eat. Even if it didn't take much convincing.

He finished fast and looked around, and was about to ask a question to 035 when he heard a voice.

Don't trust them. they're sick. they need to be cured you're the only-

As soon as it came, it left, making him feel that prickly feeling in his skin that came when he got scared,

035 could see the casual smile he was wearing quickly morph into a scared frown, like he just overheard that he was the next target for the soul swiping. Ok, That surfaced out of no where, didn't the kid mention something like that earlier?
He was getting off track and quickly snapped out of it.
They weren't supposed to conversate during meals, but he took the chance.

"Hey, doll, what's going on?-"
He asked the question and was answered right away.

"Have you seen anyone here displaying symptoms of the flu within the past 72 hours?" His demeanor had completely changed within those few seconds,he was scared and angry. And of course, the nurses didn't see any of it.
It was fine, he could take care of the kid himself.

He made a face of thinking for a few moments, before saying "No, I don't believe so, why?"

The boy looked nervous at his answer, but didn't question it. He took a breath and quickly whispered
"I need my notebooks. Everything depends on it."

035 had nearly contradicted himself once again, but didn't let that happen. "Ok, do you need yours specifically, I could get you a few new ones, does that sound good?"

He thought for a few moments and said "it's not ideal, but it'll work...

049 looked to be pondering something and 035 could already tell what he was going to ask, so before he got the chance, "No form of payment required. Just stay with me and we're good." 035 said abruptly, and he had to admit, it had a hint of desperation. What the hell...?
This was so confusing, he needed to overthink his life tonight.

The kid smiled sweetly but nervously at him. And goddamn, he would kill to see that precious smile on his face again.
.
.
.
15 minutes passed by and the nurses had counted everything,
They had gone through quick and shallow contraband checks, and they were being led somewhere new.

6 nurses came from the nursing station, and 24 patients were to a room with shoes and coats and such. The shoes were all the same, all scruffy and old with no laces, the only difference being they were different sizes. The coats were on a rack, getting smaller as it went more to the left.

049 was in the middle of the line.
It took approximately 5 minutes for everybody to get appropriately dressed for the weather.

Finally, 049 stepped in. He looked around the room, purely analyzing it for a moment.