Chapter 23: Curse of Avada Kedavra (The Case)

Magsimula sa umpisa

Officer Montreal is part of the campus police, so we would definitely cross paths again . . . especially once Moriarty and his minions resumed wreaking havoc in our high school. Ang tanong ay kung kailan.

"But," Loki came to a halt and faced the web of conspiracy, "there's one possibility that I've been mulling over. Something that bothers me."

"And that is . . . ?"

"What if Stein is not the real Moriarty? What if he's only a proxy sent by the real one to play mind games with us?"

That would be an insane twist, but . . . "Hindi pa ba enough proof ang mga sinabi niya sa atin sa café. Only Moriarty knows the details of how she . . . you know."

"Just a random thought." His hand made a dismissive wave. "For now, we'll consider Stein Alberts as Moriarty until an evidence suggesting otherwise surfaces."

Pumunta siya sa kusina at nagbuhos ng mainit na tubig sa mug. It was seven in the morning and it was strange to see him awake this early, lalo na ngayong weekend. Since his suspension, late na rin siyang nagigising maliban noong isang araw.

"You're probably wondering why I'm already up," he said while adding creamer in his coffee. Here he went again with his mind reading thingy. But why should I be surprised anymore? "Didn't I tell you a few days ago we're going on a date?"

"But that's a joke, right?" I replied. "And if ever you're going to date someone, you'll probably go with someone else—like Jamie, not me—"

Those words escaped my lips without giving them much thought. He was stirring his morning drink when he paused to give me a side-eye look. Iniwasan kong magkaroon kami ng eye contact kaya umupo na lang ako sa couch.

His shadow emerged from behind me. "As I've mentioned to you before, an acquaintance of mine needs our help. A curious case, you may call it. Have you read any of the seven Harry Potter books or watched any of the eight movies?"

"My ex-high school classmates are fans of the franchise. They proudly call themselves Potterheads."

"Why Potterheads? Do they have clay instead of brain in their skulls?"

There were times na napaiisip ako kung nagbibiro ba siya o talagang hindi siya gano'n ka-aware sa mga bagay-bagay, lalo na sa pop culture. Whether he was joking or not, I let it slide. Arguing with him would lead us nowhere.

"Is that why you're reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire?" I asked instead, ignoring his question. "Ang akala ko'y naging interested ka na sa magic."

He showed me the Harry Potter book before tossing it behind him. Kung may Potterheads kaming kasama sa room, siguradong kinuyog na siya at hindi na pinalabas nang buhay. "Never fond of anything that defies logic. However, I had to read that book to fully grasp some elements of this interesting case."

"Tell me more about it."

"Are you familiar with chain messages? Those stupid messages that say you'll be hit with bad luck if you don't forward them to many people?"

"Uso 'yan sa amin sa dati kong school. Paano naging connected si Harry Potter diyan?"

"In my acquaintance's school, there's a group dedicated to the fans of the young wizard." Loki began waving the spoon up in the air as if it was a wand and he was casting a spell. "Recently, two members of that club were found dead after receiving a mysterious text message."

"What message?"

"AVADA KEDAVRA!" he cast, pointing his spoon at me. Nagkatitigan kaming dalawa habang nakaturo pa rin sa akin ang kutsara niya. Puwedeng isingit ang sound effect ng mga kuliglig para iparamdam kung gaano ka-awkward 'yon.