41 | Frozen Rescue

💫

💫

"Get out of the way!"

The explosion erupted the earth from beneath the snow, sending searing heat across the width of the detonation that melted the frozen ground. Moving as fast as she could, Dakota jumped away to avoid the blast, pushing anyone that she could out of the line of fire. Droids riding aboard attack speeders littered the white atmosphere with plasma blasts, narrowly missing the clone soldiers that fought below them.

"We're too exposed!" she yelled, climbing back to her feet on the slippery surface. Icy snow blew roughly against her face and clung to her dark lashes, making it difficult to see. The melanin in her cheeks was being replaced with frost-bitten red "Skywalker!" she called his name into the comm link on her wrist as she slashed her double-green saber into the crowd of droids closing in around her. A mix of blue and red plasma blasts engulfed her at all angles.

"Fall back to the glaciers!" Anakin's voice responded through the static.

"We'll be frozen before then. Will we even make it to the glaciers?" Obi-wan asked, fighting a few feet away from Dakota. She could barely see her old friend through the blur.

"Sure we will!" she assured and called out to the trooper closest to her on the right "Fives, droid-poppers!"

"On it" he acknowledged within his winter armor, pulling the circular poppers from his belt and throwing them at an angle so that the wind would carry them towards the oncoming enemy. In an instant, they exploded in electricity, deactivating the droids in the blast zone.

"Now go, quickly!" she pointed towards the tall mountain glaciers in the distance.

"Come on, men!" Fives ordered the 501st soldiers around him and they all took off through the blizzard towards cover.

"We'll lose the droids in the maze of the glaciers" she ran to stand next to Obi-wan, her sabers still unsheathed in defense "tell Cody to get his men in there"

"Already did" he repelled a bullet with his saber as she glanced around the open tundra with her teeth chattering together "and you should have brought a bigger jacket" he scolded lightheartedly in the chaos, referencing to her outer-protective gear that was much thinner than his.

"Alright mother, duly noted" she rolled her eyes.

The snow was halfway up to their knees, making it difficult to trek fast. She combed over the area to make sure that nobody was left behind. A lone clone stood shooting a few droids about fifteen feet away from her, hardly noticing that the rest of his battalion had pulled back "Dogma!" she recognized "Come on, time to go!"