Chapter Thirteen

Dedication: for all her comments on the last chapter! :)

Luca's POV

          I was berating myself some more when Keaton came home.

           "You look like shit. I'd have thought that the hottie would have left you in a good mood," Keaton commented, throwing his jacket on the recliner.

           His tone was admiring when he talked about her. I barely managed to stop myself from punching him in the face, and tried to tamp down the antagonism my wolf was feeling. It was soon replaced by self-pity. He whined, wanting me to find her, but I couldn't give in. She wouldn't want to see me.

          She doesn't have to see us, my wolf purred. But we can see her.

          A crazy idea began to slowly form in my mind... I could find her and just look out for her. See if she was OK. She wouldn't have to know that I was there. The more I thought about it, the more animated I became.

          But then I came to the discouraging realization that without my mark on her, I wouldn't be able to use the bond to find her. Nor would I be able to track her by scent as she'd probably used her car to get out of here. I resumed my earlier slump against the wall, and Keaton eyed me with pity.

           Seeing his face, I snarled at him. He raised his hands jokingly in surrender, before backing out of the room. He knew my anger towards him wasn't serious, or his eyes would have dropped in submission. I was the more dominant wolf, but he was always testing himself to see if that status had changed.

           "Fuck off," I muttered as I heard him approach again.

           "Here, man, this'll make you feel better." A bottle of tequila and two shot glasses came into view as he placed them on the coffee table in front of me.

          He was wrong. It wouldn't make me feel better, but the alcohol would keep my wolf at bay for a short while. It would stop me from wondering if she was with him – her human.

          Reaching for the bottle to pour myself a shot, I felt a sense of dread overtake me. It left me disoriented at first, but then everything suddenly became clearer. I felt my wolf's hackles rise, unsure of what to think. He was torn between optimistic hope and complete panic. Me? I was confused.

           "Hey, you OK?" Keaton nudged me.

           "Yeah, I'm fine." I shook my head, unable to describe what had just happened.

          I drowned a shot, my shoulders relaxing as my wolf calmed. A sense of urgency suddenly went through me seconds later though – leaving me reeling. I needed to be somewhere. I had to go.

          What the hell was going on?

          I stood, feeling out of touch with reality. My wolf growled before I felt an onslaught of emotions.