Vanished out of time and space

Author's note: For some reason, this chapter is the only one that shows up if you Google this story. If that's what you did and you are a first time reader, please be aware that this isn't the beginning of the story. Thanks!

Captain Jack Harkness scrolled through the news reports on his computer screen. He was glad to have gotten into the time agency, although he had made sure it happened by way of a "meeting" with the head of the agency.

One article immediately grabbed his attention. It was a headline from the war between the Earth Empire and the Daleks, which had been going very poorly recently. However, the article reported that the Dalek forces had suddenly abandoned their attacks on all fronts, in every era of history. The only evidence towards an explanation was a brilliant explosion in the heart of the Seriphia galaxy, which the Daleks had conquered and made their home base. At some point the Dalek homeworld had been moved there.

No one knew for sure what had happened, but the most likely theory was that one of the Dalek's temporal experiments had gone horribly wrong and erased them from history.

There were some exciting tales, though. One veteran time agent claimed that the Daleks were at war with the legendary Time Lords. He said that the dangerous areas of the vortex that the time agents learned to avoid were in fact battlefields of a mighty conflict that human minds could only begin to comprehend. He said that the temporal storms and anomalies around the Seriphia galaxy that made it too dangerous to approach were also an effect of this "Great Time War."

Jack didn't believe these tales. If the Time Lords still existed, weren't they supposed to be a race of non-interventionists? Wouldn't a war of such scale be more visible?
All of the evidence for this war could be explained through other means. The temporal chaos surrounding the Sephira galaxy was an effect of the disastrous experiment the Daleks had performed. Although the time vortex had indeed gotten much more dangerous lately, there were still a lot of mysteries about it. Whatever was happening was some sort of natural cycle or something.

Jack didn't really care what had happened to the Daleks, he was just glad he would never have to face them. However, he did find the legends of the Time War fascinating. Although it would be much too dangerous for him to actually want to be a part of, it did sound like an exciting adventure.