Chapter 4 Runaway Royal

Chapter 4

Runaway Royal

Prince Ronald could almost feel the warmth of the sunlight as his servants opened the curtains, letting him know that the time to begin the next day has arrived. With ease, he sat up, letting out a yawn.

“Good morning, Your Majesty,” his main servant took a bow, “and may I say, happy birthday!”

Prince Ronald beamed. “Thank you, Miguel.”

“Your parents have something quite special planned for you,” Miguel continued as he straightened up the curtains. “After all, you only turn sixteen once.”

“Mmm hmm…” Ronald muttered as he thought of what that could be. He hoped it had nothing to do with him marrying a princess. Even though he knew he just turned that age, the prince felt he was not quite ready for that time of his life.

As the prince began to swing his feet over the side of his bed, Miguel immediately shook his head. “Oh, no, Sir, the servants are preparing you breakfast in bed. I insist you stay right there.”

“Thank you, Miguel,” Ronald said once again.

Moments later, the feast was delivered on a tray along with a vase containing a radiant red rose. Ronald helped himself to perfectly rounded eggs, sausage, and light fluffy bread. Once he finished, Miguel helped him assemble his royal attire and the prince was then shown to the king and queen’s quarters. Even from the other end of the hallway, Ronald could hear the voices of his father and stepmother.

“I must say Gerda, I am quite glad this mania over those grapes seems to have blown over,” King Harold spoke in a bold yet deep tone. “That rumor was driving the people in this kingdom to madness.”

“Indeed it was,” the young queen responded more softly. “I wonder whatever became of that poor girl. She would be seventeen years of age by now. Has there been any sighting of her?”

“As far as the kingdom knows, no such girl with hair that shines of gold has been spotted,” the king responded. “I would not be at all shocked if it were a merely a rumor.”

As the king and queen continued to discuss the matter, Prince Ronald thought of this prophesied girl. Her life must be dreadful in constant hiding of those whose hearts were filled with greed and desire for youth.

Once Miguel opened the curtains and announced the prince’s arrival, he took a bow and made his exit. Prince Ronald, too, offered a small bow, waiting to see why his presence was requested.

“Happy Birthday, my dear boy!” The king clumped over and embraced his son, patting him rather hard on the back.

“Thank you, Father,” Ronald choked out as he felt his breath forced out by the king’s forceful pat.

The queen, too, embraced her stepson with much more grace and gentleness. Ronald took a moment to appreciate this. Queen Gerda had been married to his father for nearly a year now. His mother, the former queen passed away when Ronald was only two of age so his memory of her was quite faint. He did come to like his stepmother as a maternal figure even though she really is only a few years older than him. Ronald remembered when King Harold first introduced her to him, he had assumed the Princess Gerda was to be his bride. At instant, he had fallen in love with her soft fair skin, light blonde hair, and the sweet smile her pink lips formed. The moment he found that the bride was for his father instead, he sullied in disappointment, yet oddly at the same time, felt relieved, as he was not ready for marriage. Even now, the idea of betrothal perturbed him.

“Well, my son,” King Harold announced as though he spoke to a large audience. “You are now sixteen years of age.” He winked. “You know what that means.”