Chapter four

*Valentina pov

I retired quickly before someone sees my tears. I don't want to embarrass myself more.

I went to the bathroom in the maid's quarter and wash my face trying to hide the proofs of my sadness. Looking at the mirror smiling and trying to regain a suitable appearance. But that all in vain, my tears started to fall again and i found myself unable to restrain them because all i can do and need now is crying for evacuating my frustration. My respite was short, i heard Miss Camilla calling" Valentina where are you? We must serve the lunch the Don will come downstairs soon!"

I washed again calm myself i got out of the bathroom and headed towards the kitchen.

Isabella was already at work preparing the dishes to place them on the table. When she saw me she stopped and look at me for a moment before returning to her task without a word.

I know she realized i was crying but she chose to not ask and i am grateful for that i really don't want to explain anything.

"Where were you Valentina we have to ..." Miss Camilla don't finish her sentence when her eyes fell on me " Is everything ok piccolo ? "

" Si Miss i am ok "

"Why you look like you were crying?"

"No no at all it's not what you think it's just a dust in my eyes"

Of course i know she didn't believe me but this is the only excuse i could find for the moment 'so pathetic Valentina '

"You know you can tell me everything Valentina ?" she said with concern and looking me straight in the eyes.

"Yeah i do thank you Miss, now i will bring the dishes to the dining room before it's cold" i said running.

Once everything was ready i stand in the corner waiting Dante and his friends to come because in addition to a few cleaning tasks and cooking i am responsible for the service.

After some minutes i heard the men speaking and the footsteps coming closer. I don't raise my head or move because for the moment i just don't want to see his face. I am so angry, i know he doesn't look at me like a woman but at least he could behave towards me like to the others. When he came he spoke and greeted with everyone except me.

"You can start piccolo" Miss Camilla told me " I am going to retire if you don't need me anymore? She asks

"Of course Zia see you later" Dante replies

I went near the table and start serving them of course i began by the Don

" What do you like sir ?"

" The lasane"

"Sure" ' will you die if you said please'
I prepare his plate and put it in front of him " And for you drink?"

" Strawberry ".I know it would be strawberry juice because it has always been his favourite.

And i move to Matteo, with a smile he asks me " it is you who made the gratin dauphinois bambina ?"

" Yes sir "

"Ok then give me some because yours is the best with chicken and orange juice please and stop calling me Sir you make me feel old bambina"

"It's the only mansion in Italy where we can't drink a drop of alcohol" said a frustrated Matteo

"This is the rule here Matteo"

"But boss at least some wine with this wonderful meal please Dante"

"Nope and if you don't agree you can go and eat somewhere else" Dante said

"Here sir" I mean Matteo" I corrected when he glares at me.

I was about to turn to Stefano when he already reaches for his meal and serve himself.

"Sorry Valentina but I can't wait I am starving"

"No problem"

I asked him any juice he wants after that I returned to the corner waiting for them to finish.

They spoke about business and other issues that I don't understand and don't want to honestly.

I stared at the garden through the great windows it's so beautiful and relaxing.

I was in my thoughts when I heard Dante's voice " Hey you, you don't listen when someone speaks to you "

"Oh sorry Sir I didn't hear you do you need something?

"Of course idiota why I will speak with you if I don't!!"

You are right I am a real dumb why would you speak with me I am just here to responds to your commands.

"Excuse me sir accept my apologies" I said with a trembling voice

"Bring the dessert and hurry up we don't have all the day!"

I nodded before cleaning the table and almost run to the kitchen to bring the dessert a mango cheese cake prepared by Bella. I served them. They finished their lunch and went to the office.

I breathed in relief and start cleaning the dining room with Monica's help.