Chapter 19

Rivers POV

I walked away from Harley, the past few days still spinning in my head.

***** 6 days before.

I smiled at Alex as he frowned at the tv screen.
"I win, again!" I boasted, puffing my chest out and relaxing my hands behind my head.
"Whatever." he pouted. "You win this time. But next time, I'll smoke you like a pig." I laughed at his adorable come-back, and just walked to my room.
"Hey Alex, wanna go for a ride?" I herd my mom asking through my closed door. I just rolled my eyes and flopped onto my bed, unlocking my phone.
"Sure." I heard alex chirp, followed by the clanking of keys and our front door closing.
"Hey River wanna come?
Oh, no mom, I'm fine." I mocked as the car pulled out of our driveway.

They never came home that night, which got me worried, but knowing my mom and alex, they probably just lost themselves at the arcade, and would be home in the morning. so I went to sleep, although uneasy, I was tired. The next morning, I didn't even check to see if either of they were home, because I had morning brain, and I was late for school.

I came home to an empty house. I called my mom several times, but got sent strait to voicemail. I was really beginning to worry now, so I got up and walked towards the door. Just then I heard a knock from the other side. I opened the door to find a police officer standing there.
"Hello?" I said confused.
"Son, are you River Quinn?"
"Yes sir. Can I help you?"
"I'm afraid not son. Lauren Quinn is your mother, yes? And Alexander Quinn your brother?"
My heart sunk into my stomach and I swallowed hard before answering. "Um... yeah."
"Well, Lauren was driving under the influence, and got into a crash. Unfortunately, Alex barely made it out. As did Lauren. But she will be charged with a DUI, vehicular manslaughter, and reckless endangerment, and will be in prison for life."
As the words came out of his mouth, I couldn't breathe and I just fell to the floor, my hands over my face. I sat there for awhile before I stood up, fists clenched.
"Can I see him?"
"Son, he's in a coma, and doctors say they don't know of he's gonna wake up."
"Can I see him?!" I yelled, pissed off because I didn't ask what the doctors said. I asked if I could see him.
"Sure. I'll take you now."

The officer drove me to the hospital and I ran inside and asked the receptionist to point me towards Alex's room.
"Alexander Quinn? Hmm, let's see. Room 204." she smiled as I ran towards the elevator and jammed the "up" button until the doors opened, then u pressed the button with a big 2 on it. The elevator dinged and I ran out and found his room.

When I walked in, I found my brother l, lying in the hospital bed, with no movement other than breathing. I sat down beside him and held his hand in mine. Beginning to cry, I rested my head on my hands, which was still holding his. I sat like this for a long while. Even when the nurse walked in, I didn't move. Just cried. I didn't understand why all these things were happening to him. he just lost our dad, and now he might lose his life. I'm not worried about me. the kid doesn't deserve not to live.

The doctors eventually made me go home. I wanted so badly to curl up next to Harley and cry until my body had no more water to cry out, then cry more. I had lost everything worth living for, except for her. But I'll probably lose her too, seeing as I haven't spoken to her in days, and I keep ignoring her calls because every time I think at all, I Always think about Alex, and I cry. so I just lay in bed and stare at the ceiling.

*****

I decided to go back to school to get my mind off of everything. and it helped, but it still hurts.