Chapter 8

Act I
Chapter 8 ━━ Hero Of The Day

Act IChapter 8 ━━ Hero Of The Day

━━━━━━━━☆★☆━━━━━━━━

After school, Shelley directly heads to the bookstore. Carefully examining the shelves one by one, she finally finds the book she was trying to find all this time. She then walks to the cashier and pays the cash.

"There you go." He hands her the book. "Good night."

"Thank you." She puts the book inside her bag and exits the bookstore.

The environment is darker as she steps out of the bookstore. She looks at her watch to read 8. She has spent more time in the bookstore than she thought it to be. She quickly sends a text to Bella, before starting to walk towards the main road to take a bus.

Soon enough, a group of guys start to follow her. She can't even see their faces clearly because of the darkness. "Saw you in the bookstore."

All the warning bells inside her head start to ring loud with the red signals. So she decides to speed up her legs until it turns to running.

"Hey, where are you running to?!"

Shelley hears the heavy footsteps following her in a speed tense. Shs uses alternative paths to avoid them and she doesn't even know where she's heading to, but she keeps running for her life, until she finally arrives at a junction, where she notices that she's trapped all the way.

The group of guys start to circle around her with the triumph smirk giving her the news that she has no way to go anymore.

"No way to run anymore, huh?" One of them asks.

"You don't get a date? Hangout with us." Another guy says. "Come on."

"She's my type, man." The tallest from the group who she assumes to be the leader says, eyeing her up and down. He walks to me and touches her cheek. "Pretty."

"Don't touch me!" Shelley wipes away his hand roughly.

"And cute."

She steps backwards in scared stiffness. "Stay away from me."

Suddenly a black BMW screeches up and Esdras steps out. She quickly runs to hide behind him. 

"That was a very dangerous manoeuvre." The leader says making his followers snicker.

"Get in the car." Esdras demands the blonde, rolling his sleeves up.

"What are you-" She starts.

"DO AS I SAY!" He glares at her deadly this time.

She nods and gets into the car as Esdras jogs to the gang and starts to throw punches at each and every member without any effort. 

After beating the gang to the point where they cannot move a muscle on their bodies, Esdras walks back to the car and gets in before speeding away.

"That was insane." Shelley nervously comments.

"I want to go back there and rip those guys' heads off." He's still seething with anger, hands gripping the steering wheel, jaw clenched.

"I think you did enough." She says. "They were almost killed!"

"You don't know the vile, repulsive things they were thinking." He argues through gritted teeth.

"And you do?"

"It's not hard to guess. Can you talk about something else? Distract me so I won't turn around."

"You should put your seatbelt on, hero." She remarks sarcastically.

"Haha…" He laughs. "You should put your seatbelt on."

After insisting to stop by a burger shop for a moment, Esdras starts to drive once again.

"Heaven." Shelley moans as her tongue tastes the delicious cheese hamburger Esdras bought her and Esdras smiles, continuing to drive.

"You're really not gonna eat?" She asks and takes another bite of her hamburger.

"No, I'm on a special diet." He replies.

"How did you know where I was?" She asks him, full of food inside her mouth.

"I didn't." He replies, continuing driving.

"All right. Stop the car." Shelley demands and he stops the car confusedly before looking at her. "Thank you for everything. I'll walk by myself from here." 

Just as she opens the door to get down, he stops her. "Wait, don't leave."

She closes the door. "Did you… follow me?" 

Esdras sighs. "I… I feel very protective of you."

"So you followed me?" She asks him once again.

"I was trying to keep distance unless you needed my help and then I heard those low-lives were thinking." He grits his teeth again at the mention of that gang.

"Wait. You say you heard what they were thinking? So what, you… you read minds?" She questions him with utter interest.

"You really haven't let go as he said." He chuckles, shaking his head. 

"Edward?" She asks him. "He said to you?"

"I read his mind." He says answering her previous question.

"Can you read my mind too?"

"Sometimes. It's hard to read you."

"Is there something wrong with me?"

"See… I tell you I can read minds, and you think there's something wrong with you?" He chuckles and she stares at him waiting for his answer. So he finally decides to give up. "No, it's not. I used to know someone who was the same as you. The look, behaviour, everything about you reminds me of her. Her mind was also unclear to read as yours." 

"Your ex-girlfriend?" She questions, making him freeze. 

He looks down at his hands. "Yeah."

"Tell me about her."

"Her name is Vanessa Hennig. She was the first to steal my heart out of all women." He explains.

"Was?" 

"Yeah. Was. She died from a fire." He looks almost crying. "I couldn't save her." Then he looks at her. "But now I see her from you. Am I doing something wrong? Seeing her from you?"

"No, you aren't doing anything wrong." She gives him a sad smile and reaches his hand to confront him. "Your hand is so cold."

"Um… it's a little cold. I-I'll turn on the heater." He says nervously and turns on the heater even though it's not cold inside the car. It's totally warm enough.

"Okay." She nods without questioning further as he already spilled one of his secrets to her. One step at a time.

"I'll drive you home." He says and starts the engine.