Chapter 13 - Romance Eh? (NSFW)

Minors DNI. This chapter contains a smut scene which isn't integral to the plot, please skip if it makes your uncomfortable. H.x

Her bad day had kicked off when Tonks was called into Mad-Eye's office, moments after she had clocked in. Tonks had previously been in a bright and cheery mood, characterized by her neon yellow hair. It wasn't the first time that she had been called into his crammed and disorganized work space, and it certainly wasn't going to be the last. "I've got some news for you Tonks, you might want to sit down." Mad-eye sounded unusually deflated.

"Fudge came in yesterday and lost his rag. He accused the whole department of being a co-conspirators with Dumbledore. He demanded to see all our open investigations and said that all "unnecessary projects" were to be shut down." 

In her four years of knowing him, Tonks had never seen Mad-eye look so deranged. His face looked tired like he hadn't slept and he was clearly wearing yesterdays robes. "I'm afraid your investigation into known ex-Death Eaters was one of the ones that got shut down."

That bastard. That stupid, sodding bastard.

Tonks clenched her fists, feeling fire in her veins. "Did you tell him that we were expecting a mass breakout from Azkaban?" She spat. "I've been working on that case for months!"

It was totally uncharacteristic of Tonks to get so angry. She got the feeling that she looked pathetic and about as threatening as a duck. "Of course I did, you halfwit. He said that the only way we could prevent it would be to focus on catching bloody Sirius Black."

In the end, she was assigned to a Local Case division and partnered with Wilson. He was sloppy, middle aged and balding. His talents included, fitting 35 Berty Botts Every Flavored Beans in his mouth at once, writing illegibly and leaving crumbs all over his desk. Tonks was immeasurably glad when she clocked off for lunch and headed towards The Atrium. She planned to eat by the fountain, in the hope that she would be able to lift her mood with some alone time.

Extremely unfortunately for him, Tonks had stepped into the lift to be faced with none other that Cornelius Fudge. She couldn't keep her mouth shut. The young Auror verbally latched onto her superior and refused to let go. She absolutely ripped Fudge apart, and by the time the elevator dinged, Tonks strolled out feeling much better.

---

"Bloody hell. Who died?" Sirius exclaimed as Tonks walked into the kitchen with a grim expression on her face. It was fair to say that once they had heard the news, both Mad-eye and Kingsley had taken it upon themselves to give Tonks and long and laborious bollocking. She was given a formal caution from one of Fudge's Assistants and was made to write a letter of apology by Mad-eye, who thought she was "lucky to still have a sodding job." Tonks explained all this to Sirius and Remus over a dinner she hardly touched.

Unsurprisingly, Sirius seemed to find this whole situation hilarious and encouraged Tonks's angry behavior. Remus stayed unusually quiet and offered sympathetic glances. She guessed that he was formulating a plan, as always. Tonks couldn't help but wonder what he thought of her, acting out like this. She dismissed the dangerous thoughts that came into her head and began to clear away the table, tipping most of the contents of her own plate into the bin.

Tonks turned around from where she was stood at the sink and saw Remus and Sirius whispering conspiratorially into each others ears. Sirius seemed to be finding whatever Remus was saying incredibly amusing, judging by the massive grin on his face. Rising from the table, he cracked his knuckles. "I'm going to spend some time with Buckbeak. I think he's getting a little lonely up there." Sirius exited, leaving Tonks and Remus alone in the kitchen.

Busying herself, Tonks plunged her cloth into the sudsy water and began cleaning a glass. She heard footsteps behind her, and felt arms sneak around her waist. Remus held her close, a smile exploding onto Tonks's face, in almost Pavlovian response. All day she had been thinking of sneaking into Remus's bed, snuggling up him, forgetting everything that had happened. This was medication that no healer could prescribe and a warmth that no amount of Fire Whiskey could provide.