Chapter 3: you look great

Start from the beginning

"You know me so well," he said back.

"You ever thought about trying something new?" I asked when he handed me a five dollar bill.

"Why ruin what's already perfect?" he joked. I rolled my eyes and handed him his change. "Isn't April in today?" he asked.

"She's in the back," I said. "She'll be out in a minute." The next question fell from my lips before I could second guess it. "Where's Tom?"

Harrison grinned and ran his hand through his hair. "Missing him already?" he asked giving me a smirk while raising his eyebrows. "We were just here yesterday."

"No," I said, furrowing my eyebrows as I prepped his coffee. "I don't miss him at all. Just surprised you're not together. I'm still not entirely convinced you're not gay lovers."

Harrison laughed. "Surprisingly, that's not the first time we've heard that."

"Oh, I'm not surprised at all," I said. I handed him his mug of coffee just as April came out from the back. "Harrison!" she said, her face lighting up. She put the tray of muffins down and ran around the counter. She threw her arms around him and pressed a kiss to his lips, making me fake gag. They pulled away from each other, and April rolled her eyes. "Don't you have to be a buzzkill somewhere else?" she asked.

"Not until my shift ends," I said, giving them both a wink.

"Speaking of the end of your shift," Harrison spoke up. "I was wondering if you ladies wanted to go out clubbing tonight."

At the same time that I said, "No thanks," April said, "Of course."

We both looked at each other while Harrison just chuckled. "Tom'll be there, too," he said. "If that helps."

"Oh actually, that does help," I said, rolling me eyes. "That turns my no thanks into a definite hell no ." April groaned and gave Harrison a tight-lipped smile.

"Give me two minutes to talk to her, yeah?" she said raising her two fingers in the air. Harrison smiled and nodded, then walked to the other side of the cafe where he sat at a table and drank his coffee while scrolling through his phone.

"April, I'm not going!" I whispered, yelled as soon as we were alone.

"You know I'll tell-"

"I don't even care about Chris anymore," I told her. "Go Tell Mom and Dad, Whatever. I can't stand another minute with Tom."

"Don't be so dramatic," she said with a roll of her eyes.

"Oh, I will be so dramatic if i wanted!" I huffed back.

"(Y/N) I'm begging you," April whined while pouting her lips, giving me puppy dog eyes.

"Why can't you and Harrison just go alone?" I asked. "Why does Tom even have to go with us?"

"I don't know," she said with a shrug. "He once told me that one of them doesn't go to a club without the other. It's some dumb bro thing. And if you don't go, you're going to make Tom third wheel."

"Tom third wheeling is not my problem," I said with a shrug. "And anyway, are you sure they're not gay? I mean, they're attached at the hip."

"Oh, I'm positive they're not gay." She wiggled her eyebrows suggestively.

"Gross!" I said, giving her arm a playful shrug.

"You started it," she laughed. I rolled my eyes. "Please (Y/N)."

"No."

"Please?"

"No."

"(Y/N)."

"April."

April groaned and put her hands on her forehead. "I'll pay you," she said. "I'll do anything. You can half my paycheck for three weeks. I'll, I'll do the dishes for a month. Two months. I'll do your laundry."

I took a deep breath and let it out through my nose, letting my eyes wander to Harrison. He was talking on the phone now, still not looking in our direction. "Why does this mean so much to you?" I asked.

"Because I really like him," she said, her voice lowering a bit. "And I like hanging out with him. And I haven't been clubbing in a while, and I'd really like to go. With him." I groaned and threw my head back. It was hard. I knew April liked to socialize, and I knew our budgets didn't exactly allow for clubbing and nights out. If she had the opportunity to get drunk and go dancing with Harrison for free, who was I to stand in her way?

"Fine!" I caved. "Fine. But I won't have any fun." I looked over at Harrison. He was off the phone. "And Harrison!" I called. He looked over at us and smiled. "You have to buy all my drinks. Lord knows you can afford it."

"Yay!" April cheered, throwing her arms around me. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

"Awesome," Harrison said, walking over to us with a smile.

"I'll pick your outfit," April told me. "Don't even worry about it."

"Do you not think I'm capable of doing that myself?"

"No, I don't."

Around 6:30 that evening, we both started to get ready. For me, April picked out a lace, bodycon, burgundy dress- one that we both knew usually made boys fall at my feet. "You've got something up your sleeve for me tonight?" I yelled through the apartment as I slid on my dress.

"I just want you to keep your options open!" she called back. "You gotta look your best in case you meet the one. Or just a one."

She came into my room wearing a mauve bodycon dress, her hair curled, and her hairspray in hand. "Are all my curls good?" she asked, spinning around for me to inspect her look. I nodded, so she sprayed each hair into place. We were both ready to go by 8:00. I asked April what time we had to meet Harrison and Tom. "They're picking us up," she told me, looking at her phone. I groaned, and she rolled her eyes, not even looking up from her device. "And why does that upset you?"

"Because," I huffed, "I'm going to get dropped off at the end of the night like a loser and you're going to go back and have sex with Harrison."

"Or you could meet a really great guy at the club and not need us to give you a ride at all," April said. She locked her phone and smiled at me. "They're here. Get your party face on."

"I don't have a party face." I said pointing to my face

"Well you could at least pretend." April shrugged

The boys arrived in the Porsche, and Tom was driving. Harrison got out as soon as he saw us and opened the car door. He gave April us both hugs, April a kiss on the lips, and me a kiss on the cheek. I was flustered by his manners. Was his greeting abnormal, or had it really been that long since I met a decent man? I figured it was a bit of both. Tom, as expected, sat silently in the driver's seat. "You girls both look lovely tonight," Harrison said as he slid back into the driver's seat.

"Doesn't (Y/N) just look amazing?" April said, a teasing smirk on her face. "She says she hates going out, but you'd never tell by looking at her."

"You look great, (Y/N)," Harrison said with a chuckle. "I mean, you couldn't hold a candle to April, but-" I couldn't help but laugh as April slapped his arm.

"Charming," I said.

"Tom, doesn't (Y/N) look nice?" Harrison asked, nudging Tom in the arm. Tom hummed in response and pulled onto the street.

"Don't bother, Harrison," I said sarcastically. "I think Tom is allergic to kindness."

"Am I that obvious, babe?" Tom said, looking at me through the rearview mirror. I just rolled my eyes, folded my arms across my chest, and leaned back into my seat.

When we got to the club, we were let in right away, despite the line out front. "How did you do that?" April asked Harrison, hooking her arm with his.

"Who said real estate didn't help make good connections?" he said, kissing the top of her head. She smiled and leaned her head on his shoulder as the four of us walked into the club. April might've been charmed, but I was suspicious.

~
Make sure to vote
~