⁰¹ The Vanishing of 1983

Start from the beginning

No matter how many times they kiss it always felt like the first time. The same butterflies, the same sparkling eyes, the same dopey smiles, the same feeling of euphoria after.

"Hey, Issa--WOAH!"

Imogen and Issa jumped apart as fast as they could, hearts feeling as though they were going to fall out their chests, feeling fear crawl up their bodies.

"Jesus! What, Steve?!" Imogen shouted, throwing a pillow at her brother, glancing at Issa who just looked down at her hands like she was a little kid getting scolded by her parents again.

Steve caught the pillow, looking between the girls, wondering why they were so close but decided not to question it when he saw the look of discomfort on his little sister's face.

"Issa..." Steve said making the said girl look up at the boy with fear in her eyes as she glanced at her secret girlfriend who just nodded at her reassuringly.

"Yes...sir?" the girl winced at her words when Steve looked at her weirdly.

"Your mom's on the phone."

Issa cursed, getting up from the bed and running downstairs to the kitchen where the phone was with Imogen and Steve following her.

"Hey, mommy," Issa answered the phone, her eyes trailing to Imogen standing in front of her.

Issa grabbed the girl's free hand, ignoring the curious eyes of Steve before he finally sighed and left them, going upstairs to his room.

Imogen played with Issa's fingers, watching the girl talk to her mom in concern.

"Yeah, no! It's okay! I'll be there. Mmhmm, love you too, mommy." Issa sighed, putting the phone on the receiver.

"So..."

"I'm sorry. I have to go. My mom's working another late shift and needs me to watch after Broady and Rowen." Issa sighed, grabbing her backpack from the couch nearby that she forgot to take up.

"Is everything okay? I mean that's like the 5th late shift this week." Imogen looked at the girl in worry, leading the girl outside, watching the girl get on her bright yellow bike.

Issa smiled softly at the girl, shaking her head. "Everything is fine, don't worry."

"Do you at least want me to ride with you? Say hi to the witch twins?" Imogen asked, glancing at her red bike that was thrown on the lawn crazily.

Issa shook her head again this time in amusement at the name for her siblings since Broady and Rowan always pulled pranks on Imogen. "I'm good."

Imogen sighed, making Issa bite her lip, before looking around, making sure no one was peeping on them since the mom's around here loved to gossip.

Issa hurriedly grabbed the girl by the back of her neck, pecking Imogen on the lips.

Imogen gazed into the beautiful hazel eyes, and at that moment she wanted to say those three little words.

I Love You.

"See you later." Issa winked.

Imogen watched Issa giggle when Imogen caught the kiss they blew her way, before walking to the door when Issa made her way out of Imogen's sight.

Something nagged at Imogen when she noticed the streetlights flickered, her stomach churned in worry for Issa but then she remembered.

'See you later' so the girl just shrugged it off knowing she'll see her girl tomorrow at school.

So she just made her way to bed, laughing when Steve came in giving her a kiss on the forehead before putting a hand on her face shoving her head down on the pillow-like he does every night.