"I don't know, I think they're in China for family business." Marinette told Chat as she started to wash the dishes.

"Not that I'm complaining that you stayed, but why didn't you go with them?" Marinette bit her lip. How was she supposed to answer that without giving away her identity?

"Well, school!" She practically yelled. She flinched at how easily she had given herself away.

"School." Chat repeated doubtfully.

"Um yeah! They might be gone for a really long time and they didn't want me to miss school, not to mention running the bakery!"

"I thought the bakery closed." 

"W-well there's a limited menu now and it's pick-up only, but it hasn't closed." Marinette stuttered.

"Mari, I can tell when you're lying to me, sweetheart. What's the real reason you're here?" His voice was soft and gentle and Marinette wanted to tell him, she wanted to tell him that she was Ladybug.

"I can't tell you." She whispered. She hated it. She hated the secrecy and the lies. It wasn't fair to him. He deserved more than that.

"Okay." His voice had no anger in it or hurt just understanding and it clenched at her heart. She really couldn't ask for anyone better to be by her side. 

"I'm sorry."

"It's alright, Mari. I didn't mean to pry or to make you uncomfortable." Chat Noir gave her a smile. Oh God, she was such a bad girlfriend.

"I feel so guilty." She said pouting.

"Don't. If you can't tell me, you can't tell me. It's alright."

"I hate hate keeping secrets from you." She muttered.

"Well, I hate to break it to you, but I'm keeping some secrets from you too, Love." She glanced over her shoulders to see him grinning, pointing at his mask. She chuckled. "Although I doubt it's anything like this."

'Oh, if only you knew mon chaton.'

"What's that supposed to mean?" He asked quietly. Panic flooded through Marinette as she realized that she had accidentally said her last thought out loud.

"Uh, umm."

"Marinette." She found his arms around her waist. "Do you," he hesitated.

'Don't say it!' Her mind screamed at him.

"Do you hide behind a mask, Love?" He asked carefully. She breathed a sigh of relief. 

"Not really. Even with Lila and Chloe I try to stand up to them as much as possible." As Marinette she was herself. Marinette was imperfect and knew that, but she felt that seeing herself as imperfect is what kept her from becoming vain. 

Ladybug was a different matter. Of course she hid behind physical and mental masks, but she didn't really have a choice. Besides, Chat didn't know that she was Ladybug, so her answer had been the truth or as close as she could get to the truth without revealing her identity.

"That's not what I meant." Chat's voice cut her like a knife. She inhaled sharply.

"T-then, t-then what d-did you mean?" She asked him. 

He spun her around and their gazes found each other. His stare was so intense, he was asking a thousand questions. She had no choice. She was backed into a corner. Looking down would answer his question, but eye contact would as well.

"You know what I meant." He said searching her eyes. Pleading her to answer.

Her eyes shifted to where Tikki was hovering behind the pair, holding the mouse miraculous in her hand. Marinette felt relief fill her.