"Do you know what you're going to get?" I ask trying to get an idea of the price range he's looking at.

"I always tell myself that I'm going to try new things but realistically I always end up getting a steak. Have you been here before?"

"No, I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I have the habit of just returning to the same places over and over again," I admit breaking the eye contact he's made to look at the price of the steak.

A waiter approaches us smiling pleasantly, "Good evening Mr. Benson. Could I get you something to drink?"

Maddox sets his menu down, "Can I have a glass of chardonnay please?"

The waiter nods, "And for you, Miss?"

"I'll have the same please."

"I'll be right back with that," He states before walking away and I glance at the menu again feeling Maddox's eyes on me. It's so hard to read the menu and consider what sounds appetizing when I know he's looking at me.

Finally, I give in. "Why are you staring at me?" I ask bluntly and he just smiles at me.

"Because I can't figure you out. It's so refreshing not knowing everything about someone because here? Everyone knows everything about everyone, yet no one knows anything about you Cassidy. It makes this so much more interesting," Maddox answers honestly.

*********

One thing I had forgotten when agreeing to come with Maddox is that I wasn't actually on the guest list. My usual sneaking in through the kitchen wouldn't work here because how exactly do you explain, 'Hey I'll meet you inside while I go sneak in the back since I'm not actually one of you.'

It can't be explained because then he would realize what I am: a con artist taking advantage of him.

Thankfully, because I was with Maddox and he was so recognized in this world, we were just let right in which did nothing to soothe the rapid pounding of my heart because I'm not in the shadows. I'm under a fucking spotlight.

And then there are the reporters for the red carpet.

Goddamn, I really did not think this whole thing through at all. With Maddox's hand on the small of my back, thankfully this dress isn't open, he tells me jokes to pass the time. "What do you call a pig that does karate?"

I've honestly never been much of a joke teller and neither have Jupiter and Noah so I guess it should be relatively easy for me to guess, but I don't know. "Lean?"

He pauses for a moment before chuckling softly, "Wait, why would it be lean? The answer is pork chop."

"Because karate is a form of exercise so if the pig can do it, then wouldn't it be a lean pig?"

His hand drops as we reach a table, "I never thought about it that way but I like it. I also had them move your plate next to mine but I didn't know your last name and there were a few different Cassidy's hence why it just says 'Cassidy' on it."

This is dangerous, too dangerous. CJ you're going to get caught.

"Thanks, Maddox, smart thinking," I compliment and he smiles at me causing my heart to skip a beat.

"Well, who is this pretty lady?" A man I don't recognize asks and I watch Maddox's face become more forced. "I don't believe we've been acquainted," He says offering me his hand which I hesitantly take as he presses his lips against the back of my hand.