8. The One With The Fake Name

Start from the beginning

"Dad I have a favour to ask."

"Ask."

"Let's exchange our names."

Gulf's dad finally looks up from his phone. The breaking sound of a cup can be heard from the kitchen. Gulf's mom comes running from the kitchen and looks at Gulf and then at her husband. Golf, who was watching TV, mutes it and looks at Gulf.

"What?" Gulf asks. "I just want dad to change his name to Gulf. And I will change my name to Earth. No big deal."

Gulf's mom hits Gulf's head softly. "It's a big deal, silly. What are you talking about?"

"Why do you want to exchange names in the first place?" Earth speaks up finally.

"Please dad, don't ask me the reason. Please please please please just let's get it done! We just need an affidavit." Gulf begs.

"Son, you don't even know what you are talking about. Why though?"

"Okay fine! No need to change names! I'm screwed for life." Gulf whines and goes to the kitchen. "Mom, I'm hungry."

Golf looks at his brother. He knows why his brother wants to exchange names with their father. He gets up from the floor and goes to his brother. "Lil bro. Let's talk." He pulls Gulf and takes him to his room. He closes the door behind them.

"What is it, Phi?"

"It's time you told Mew the truth."

"Wait, how do you know about this?" Gulf asks, taken aback.

"Well, you already know that Mew is one of my close friends. Let me tell you this. That boy likes you." Golf smiles.

"P'Mew likes me?" Gulf blushes beet red.

"Are you dumb or what? Since the day you fought that asshole Dan, he's head over heels for you. Damn, when he told me that he likes a person named Earth, I asked him to show me a picture. And you know, I was shocked when he showed me your picture." Golf says and shakes his head.

"He did?"

"Yes, you dumb fool. I asked him if he was sure that his name is Earth, and also if he's sure about his feelings."

"What did he say?" Gulf says, surprised at how calm he's managing to be.

"He said he's sure. Gulf," Golf holds his brother's shoulder, "just tell him the truth. It's not like you're hiding something big. It's just a name. Just tell him what is in your mind. He has a big heart. He'll forgive you."

"You think so?"

"Yes." Golf smiles. "And I am sure about one thing now."

"What thing?"

"That my lil bro has fallen for that fine man."

"In your dreams." Gulf pushes Golf but smiles shyly. He hurriedly hides his face in his hands and leaves.

"Treat me with your pocket money, Nong!" Golf laughs and shakes his head. "I hope they find happiness within each other."

———————

"What's wrong with you today?" Golf asks Mew.

"Yes, bestie, what's wrong with you today?" New joins Golf and Mew at the table.

"Is it that obvious? Didn't I perform well on stage today?" Mew asks, taking a sip of his drink.

"It's not like that. But you seem off." Golf says and pats Mew's back.

"I have to pay the rent. And I don't have enough money. I spent all my savings on buying instruments." Mew says and takes another sip of his drink.

"Hey bestie! That's not an issue at all. I will lend you money." New says and pats Mew's shoulder.

"That's obviously an issue." Mew says and sighs.

"Hey New, you already know that Mew doesn't borrow anything from anyone." Golf says and pours some drink for himself.

"I told you not to spend much on your cute Earth." New says.

"I don't even spend anything on him. He doesn't let me." Mew says as if he's frustrated about it.

"I can help you. Only if you agree to what I am going to say though." Golf says.

"Yes tell me." Mew says, Paying full attention towards Golf.

"Well, you know I have a lil bro called Gulf."

"Yes. So?" Mew asks.

"So, he is planning for a major in your university in your department. You see, his English is a bit weak. My parents are looking for someone to tutor him. And I think, you are the best person." Golf says.

"You think?"

"Yes I do."

"Then, okay. I will tutor your brother." Mew smiles in relief.

"Hey, but I heard your brother is a brat." New laughs. "And Mew doesn't like brats."

"Well, my brother might be a brat, but Mew doesn't have to like him? Just tutor him." Golf raises his eyebrows.

"Whatever. You better pay me well, Golf." Mew says and smirks.

"Yeah, don't worry about money." Golf says reassuringly.

"Now now. Let's uplift our moods, shall we? Let's make a toast. C'mon. To Mew's daily coaching classes!" New says and raises his glass.

"Shut up." Mew says, but raises his glass. Golf raises his glass too and they say "Cheers!" in unison.

New looks at Mew. He hates to see Mew like this — dependent on others. And Mew doesn't even take his help ever, but he does take the help of others. New hates it. New actually hates everyone around Mew. He hates Golf. He hates the fans. He hates Earth. Now, he hates Gulf. They just take Mew away from him. Or Mew doesn't need him anymore, since he met that boy. He hates Earth. Dan was better. I don't hate Dan that much. At least Mew needed me when him and P'Dan were together. New hates how things right now. He hates Earth with all his gut.

He has got to do something. He has to get back his Mew.