Chapter Forty Three

"What ....... did you say?" He pushed me away unceremoniously, "Six, six months? Look at me, I am fit as a fiddle, even half a century more is a conservative estimate. I am very touched by your heartfelt confession, but you didn't have to curse me like this."

" ........" I stared at him, my mind spinning like some connections in my brain has gone haywire.

"Who told you that I only have six more months to live?"

"I overheard the doctor saying this to your sister ........ could it be you are unaware how bad your condition is, he said you have ten months at most, it's not possible that I heard it wrong ......" If the prognosis was half a century, why would she look so devastated?

Lu Feng pondered for a while, and let out a long exhale: "You didn't hear wrong ....... but ...... the person who is in bad shape is my father."

"I initially planned to wait two days for you at Xiamen, but my Dad suddenly returned to Shanghai, so I had to rush back, his health hasn't been good, and he probably overtire himself on the long flight, plus it didn't help that he found out I flunked a couple of business deals." He looked slightly ashamed, "It's because I have gone half mad looking for you ...... so I made some mistakes ...... he was so angry that he fainted on the spot ......"

"His health has been failing these past few years, we have been careful to contain the news to the public. Him constantly putting on a front has no doubt piled on the stress, worsening his condition, so we are all ....... mentally well-prepared. It so happened the day he arrived, I was in a pretty messed-up state myself, and once we sent him to the hospital, I collapsed too." He smiled bitterly, "It could be a combination of anxiety, exhaustion from running around for days, and exposure to the cold from that night. In any case, it really isn't that big a deal, but my sister forced me to get hospitalized, and take care of my dad in the adjacent ward at the same time. Of course I would never expect ...... that you would end up misunderstanding that it is I who has fallen sick ......"

My head that has been floating in the clouds finally found a solid peak, and I slowly descended to reality, finally clicking in place what is going on.

Zhu Sha told me 'Mr Lu has fainted, and his condition is not looking good.' They usually address Lu Feng as Boss, so this Mr Lu, must be referring to his father, the big boss who might as well be the emperor sitting inside the forbidden city, never visible to us mere commoners.

It is my own fault for losing it the moment I received the news. A spell of giddiness hit, paralyzing my ability to perceive the information properly, assuming Mr Lu is Lu Feng.

No wonder Ding Ding and the gang are so oblivious to the bad news, even in the mood to play mahjong to pass time, towards a complete stranger 'Mr Lu' whom they have only heard but never met, it is impossible for them to exact any form of depression, some sympathy should suffice.

Speechless at my embarrassing blunder, I pushed Lu Feng away, stood up, turned around ready to leave.

"Hey, Xiao Chen, You can't go back on your words! !" That guy with the strength of a large hound circled one arm around my waist and held me back with a death grip, "You said it yourself you will not leave this time, how can you break your promise! !"

"The day you have only six more months to live I will naturally come back and stay with you everyday until you enter your grave, liar."

"You are the one who got it wrong, no one lied to you! ! " He exclaimed in an aggrieved voice, "You are unjustly accusing me."

"I need to get back."

"You are the liar! You are going back on your words."

"I promised Yi Chen I will return."