x. poisonous to the touch

CHAPTER TEN!

POISONOUS TO THE TOUCH

WATER. In reality, they're currently surrounded by it and yet it is not safe to drink. Therefore, they're currently trying to soothe their dry throats with nothing but their saliva which is running out as it is. Elena is leaning against a tree with her eyes closed, her head pounding due to the dehydration.

"There has to be water somewhere. They won't just let us all die this way," Finnick points out as Katniss opts to climb a tree in order to try and see around the rest of the arena. Moments later, she returns to the other three.

"The force field, it's a dome. We're at the edge of the arena. I couldn't find any signs of fresh water," Katniss breathes as he eyes stray to Peeta who still is not looking one hundred percent.

"It's gonna get dark soon. We'll be safe if our back is protected. We should set up camp, I'll take first watch," Finnick offers which Katniss expresses her immediate displeasure at, scoffing lightly when he speaks.

"Not a chance,"

"I can take first watch," Elena says softly and the remaining three tributes turn to look at her, Finnick immediately shaking his head.

"You need your sleep, Lena," His tone is almost gentle before he turns to look at Katniss again. "Honey, that thing I did back there for Peeta, it's called saving his life. If I wanted to kill either of you, I would've done it by now,"

Finnick gets up and walks away from the District Twelve tributes and Elena spares them a look before following. Her partner smiles at her as he finds a spot to sleep and pats the ground beside him. The blonde sits down and rests her head on his shoulder as his arm wraps around hers.

"Get some rest, yeah?" Finnick speaks quietly and Elena nods her head in response, closing her eyes.

Some time later, both Finnick and Katniss sit awake and in relative silence until the older of the two decides to speak up.

"How's Peeta?" Finnick questions and the girl looks to him.

"He's okay, I think. Just dehydrated like the rest of us. How's she?" Katniss directs the last part towards the blonde who is lightly snoring against his shoulder. Katniss has to admire his current dedication to the girl, how worried he was at the cornucopia earlier wipes away her initial thoughts of him fleeing later on. He wouldn't leave her, that much is evident.

"She's alright. Probably just tired, it's been a long day already," He keeps his voice quiet to avoid waking her up but she wakes moments later anyway due to the loud music that begins to boom around the arena.