xxvi. losing those you love

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX!

LOSING THOSE YOU LOVE

THEY HAVE DISCOVERED THAT THEY ARE VERY MUCH ALIVE. The search for their bodies must have uncovered the secret that the squad is very much alive, the previous victors and their accomplices roaming around in the underground.

The hisses are repetitive pronunciation of Katniss' name, calling for her and hunting her down. Elena has now separated herself from Finnick and watches as Katniss lifts her bow and points it at Peeta's brain as he begins to stir.

"Katniss!" Peeta calls out as he turns to face her, his eyes wide and frantic. "Get out of here!"

Elena can tell from body language alone that he is alarmed but his voice only adds to it further. Katniss is hesitant to do anything, unsure of what her actions should be.

"Why? What's making that sound?" She asks.

"I don't know! Only that it has to kill you!" He responds quickly. "Run! Get out! Go!"

Elena watches as she relaxes her grip on the bow, lowering it and telling the crew that it's best if she splits off herself. This, of course, is met with immediate protest from those around her.

Everyone, including Peeta, is handed a weapon that they can use to fight off whatever is coming. Having barely ever even held a gun, Elena grips it tightly as she knows this is probably her lifeline. Jace is quick to show her how to simply pull the trigger and shoot the gun, earning a nod from her as she readies herself to move.

Outside of the room, the hissing becomes even louder than it was previously. It's vicious and scary but it does allow for them to better understand where the mitts are so when it comes to fighting them, they will be better off. They roam behind the group at, what Elena can only guess is, a significant amount of distance.

Pollux is once again up the front with Katniss, helping to get out of there the best they can. He knows the tubes better than anybody else down here. All they can hope is that they can move fast enough that they will get out before they're caught. They cannot be far from Snow's mansion now.

Screeches fill the air and Elena closes her eyes. She hears Peeta speak of Avoxes and those he heard when he was in captivity. It only further confirms that these mutts are not only here to kill Katniss but anybody they come across, unfortunately the Avoxes were in their way.

"Let me go on alone. Lead them off. I'll transfer the Holo to Jackson. The rest of you can finish the mission," Katniss says to the group.