iv. managing small smiles

CHAPTER FOUR!

MANAGING SMALL SMILES

ELENA HAD SPENT THE NIGHT with Finnick, talking about things from back home and trying to forget the horrible predicament that they're currently in. It worked to an extent - she still thinks about Jace a lot and all that she can hope is that he's safe back in District Four, that he hasn't done anything stupid. He has a bit of a habit for doing stupid things when he's upset.

The following morning, the two of them sit at the dining table with Mags as they eat their breakfast and discuss the training that is coming up later on in the day. Elena doesn't remember much from her training sessions, most of the skills she has revolves around District Four life — fishing lures and knots mostly. Finnick had her train with the trident when she was in her sessions, giving her some pointers before hand but they didn't even have any of those in her Games. She had a knife and that was it.

"I'm going to teach you some things today, Lena and then you can go over to the quieter stations which I know you like to do," Finnick comments to the blonde girl who nods her head as she chews on her toast. "Be careful with some of the people in there, they're good at manipulating,"

"I know, Finn. Don't interact with one and two — it's all I've heard from you for two years," Elena replies, the corners of her mouth twitching up into a small smile.

Whilst District Four is usually a part of the Career alliance, Elena has strayed from that during her Games. She went off on her own, worried that the minute she turned her back to someone from One or Two, they'd stick a knife in her back. They would've seen her as weak and of no advantage to their alliance, she knows that is probably what they were thinking from the beginning anyway.

"Hold on to that advice, especially this year. I'd be weary of trusting anybody who you don't really know," He speaks to her and she nods her head, skimming over the tributes in her mind. Johanna is the only one she's had a real conversation with out of the lot of them.

"None of them probably trust me either," Elena shrugs in response as she finishes her breakfast. She grabs the hair tie off the table and gently positions her hair so that she can tie it up into a ponytail at the back of her head. "I think we have to go now,"

Finnick nods and finishes eating his food, giving Mags a small smile before leaving with the girl. They enter the elevator together and Elena is more than happy that nobody else has joined them on it, not wanting to deal with strangers in a confined space. As they head into the training centre, her palms begin to sweat as the nerves finally kick in. Tributes are already dispersed amongst the stations, the usual message from the trainer obviously not needed since they're all returning tributes. It's not something you could really forget.