Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Alexander’s footsteps echoed loudly through the marble hallway as he walked towards his destination. People in his vicinity nervously darted out of his way at the sight of his dark facial expression. Some had the guts to whisper amongst each other, but upon meeting his steel blue eyes, they quickly scampered off.

Alexander took the elevator to the fiftieth floor without meeting another person. Something told him that upon his arrival, everyone was noticed of his presence in the building, which meant that Lucien Valentino would too.

When the silver elevator doors opened, Alexander immediately strode to the non-transparent glass office and knocked on it. He didn’t wait for an answer before he entered the room.

It was as desolate as the last time Alexander was there. The only furnishings in the spacious room included a large office table at the far end of the room, coupled with a few chairs and two matching bookshelves. However, it was not the lack of interior decoration that he was concerned with, it was with the man sitting behind the desk.

Alexander walked forward. “You did this on purpose,” he stated impassively as he tossed the photograph of target onto the mahogany table. “Why?”

The man dressed in the black suit swivelled his chair around and steepled his fingers. He gave the boy a once over before chuckling darkly. “Careful Nightshade. I would not suggest you do that. One would think you have feelings for her.”

Alexander clenched his hands together and looked down on the floor. “On the contrary, I do not.”

Lucien chuckled again before he picked up a steel blade from his table and examined it in the sun’s rays. “You would do well to know where your place is. I do not tolerate such lack of respect, especially to those who barge into my office like this and demand questions from me,” he growled, turning his cold grey-blue eyes to Alexander. “Now I will ask you this—is she a hinder to you?”

Alexander met Lucien’s eyes to show he had nothing to hide from him, “No sir, not at all.”

“Then I would suggest you go back and take care what needs to be done.” He paused and twirled the blade in his hand. “Unless you are incapable of that...”

Without warning, the blade shot through the air and aimed directly at Alexander. He did not blink. With cat like reflexes, he swiftly pivoted to the side and caught it inches away from his face. Alexander lowered his hand down, his face devoid of emotions. “You underestimate me sir. I never failed an assignment, nor do I plan on it. However, I do not understand why you gave me such an easy target.”

The man’s dark eyes glinted with malice as he smiled devilishly at the boy. “Then I expect it to be completed soon—with the data and key in hand. The journey to becoming a master warrior will challenge you both on a physical and emotional level. If and only when she is removed, can you proceed with your final training and be deemed a master— one worthy of commanding hundreds.” Lucien leaned forward on the table, never breaking eye contact with Alexander. “I know who she is Nightshade, and I know that you know who she is. Now the only question remains is can you sever the link to your past?”

“Of course,” cut in Alexander curtly. “She is nothing to me.”

“Very well, time is ticking.”

***

Adrianna checked the time on her phone and scowled. Her hazel eyes darted around the public library. The only sign of life was the grey haired librarian pushing a cart of books down the non-fiction isle. She muttered a few curses at Alexander and began to angrily shove her things into her bag.