-14

8 February 2002
[part three]

***

     Natasha sat tense on the couch in the Avengers Tower living room. She held Peter in her arms, not trusting anyone else to hold him despite them each asking multiple times. Clint told her she should trust them, but she was still on the fence with each person; none of them came from great backgrounds, but she didn't either.

     "Why'd you bring her here, Clint?" Tony asked, who was laid back in a recliner. "I thought she could make a great asset to the team," Clint looked over at Natasha. She gave him a glare, knowing what he was hinting at. "How so?" Tony asked, intrigued. "Haven't you heard about the Black Widow that showed up just a few months ago?" The room filled with gasps and wide open mouths at Clint's words. Natasha held her stern posture and expression. "You're telling me that she can do those things?" Tony said, using amusing hand gestures toward Natasha. She scoffed, "I've been doing them since I was a child. Once I was given to the Red Room, I was trained everyday to kill. I know one hundred ways to kill you with just my pinkie."

"I like her," Sam, who was sitting on the floor, said. Natasha gave him a nod a small smile.

Everyone sat in a mostly comfortable silence; some people were still hanging on to the whole easy-killing conversation. The silence was only broken when Peter started to cry. "Oh ребенок паук, shhhhh," Natasha cradled her son, her stern shield fallen. She held his head against her shoulder and rubbed his back. "Shhhh."

All the Avengers were shocked at her motherly nature; this was the first time she hadn't looked threatening or on guard. "Do you need anything?" a deep voice said from the doorway. Natasha turned around and was immediately met with a set of steel blue eyes. She gave him a glare, but he only held a concerned yet guilty expression. "No," she told him, still rubbing Peter's back. "Peter just simply needs a nap. No assistance."

     The tension between the two was as clear as glass and thick; it couldn't be cut with a knife. On Bucky's side, he wanted to help and be apart of his son's life. However, Natasha didn't want to give him a chance.

     Natasha stood up and looked over at Clint. "If you plan on keeping me here, I'll need a room." Clint was about to say something when Tony stood up. "I own the damn place, not him." He started walking towards the entrance of the hallway where the bedrooms were located. Natasha followed, continuing to rub Peter's back. Before entering the hallway, she stopped beside Bucky. He shifted uncomfortably on his feet. He moved his head the slightest bit and mad eye contact with his son. Peter's cried ceased and he tried to reach a hand out. Bucky lifted his skin and bone arm, wanting to touch his creation. "Stop. We'll talk later," Natasha said, glaring at him once again. He silently nodded and put his arm down. She passed him and he turned to watch her walk away.

     "Here's your room," Tony said, opening the door and stepping in. "Peter will have to sleep with you for now, until we can figure out the whole situation." She nodded and examined the room. It was carpeted with tan carpet and the walls were a plain white. The exterior wall was only windows, no actual wall, letting in the golden hour hues. The room itself was larger than any room Natasha had been in in her life, and she even had her own bathroom. "I'm going to put Peter down for a nap and take one myself. I suggest that no one wakes me . . . it won't be pretty," she smiled, trying to joke with Tony. Tony nodded, not getting the joke, but deciding to take her advice. "Sleep tight." He left the room, shutting the door behind him.

     Natasha laid Peter on her bed. She went over to the closet and found a few blankets. The smallest one was a plain white color and she used it to swaddle him. He tried to squirm, but Natasha put her hands on his sides. "Go to sleep ребенок паук. мама паук is here. I won't leave you," she comforted her child. He slowly let sleep take over and she watched as it did. She sat on the bed beside Peter's bundle and thought about the past twenty-four hours. This time yesterday she was training for a new mission she would have left for today. This morning, this man had blown up her only "home" and saved her only child. Then he was kind enough to offer his home to the two. And here they were, laying halfway across the world.

     The adrenaline and shock of today's events had finally worn off. Her eyes were heavy and her body was tired. She laid down on her bed and let sleep consume her.

***

     Back in the living room, Bucky had all eyes on him. He hadn't moved from his spot by the hallway's entrance and everyone else was still lounging around the living room.

     "There's something between you two," Tony said, who was back in his recliner. "How would you know?" Bucky asked, eyeing Tony. "Considering the tension between you two is pretty damn thick . . . just a guess." He took a sip of his drink he had left on the side table. "You look depressed and she won't give you the time of day," Clint said next.

     Bucky knew their relationship was currently worse than rocky, but he didn't want to tell his secret to everyone yet. He wanted to make sure he had her consent this time, since he's in control of his mind. "You'll find out when she's ready." Bucky left them with that and went to his room.

****

EDITED/REWRITTEN

-Nat