-02

26 November 2000

****

    SIX DAYS HAVE PASSED since Natalia found out her part in Project Baby Spider. She was the only one in the dormitory; she was told three days ago she was not allowed to train, so she stayed in here while all the other girls did. She was putting her hair into a braid, looking out one of the small windows. A blanket of snow covered the ground and the sun shined onto it, making it brighten.

She reached the end of her hair and tied it off with a hair tie she had around her wrist. As she tied it, her head leaned down to look at her stomach. There's a child in there, she told herself. Though, she couldn't bring herself to believe it. She moved her hands down to her stomach and placed them on it. There's a baby in here. She wasn't showing, but she could've sworn her stomach felt different.

    The door to the dormitory creaked open. Natalia turned and saw Madam B standing in the door way, the file that had practically been following Natalia in her hands. "Ms. Romanoff, come with me," Madam B told her. "Yes Madam," Natalia said. She maneuvered around the few beds and bedside tables in her path to the door. When she made it to her destination, Madam B held out the file for her to take. "Read this," Madam B handed her the file. "This will tell you everything you need to know about Project Baby Spider."

    Natalia took the file and followed Madam B. She closed the door behind her then put her attention on to the file she felt had been haunting her. As expected, it was labeled:

Project Baby Spider
File No. 1277
20 November 2000

    She opened it up and began to read.

The Red Room and HYDRA have united to undertake a top-secret project: create a human spider with super human and spider-like abilities. The Red Room has determined that Natalia Alianovna Romanov will carry this child. The father is to be kept confidential per HYDRA's request.

There are two stages to this project: the pregnancy and the training. Ms. Romanov will complete stage one by carrying the subject. The DNA mutations will start with the subject in the womb. Once she has given birth the subject will be trained.

    Natalia reread the two paragraphs. There are two stages and I'm currently in stage one, Natalia thought, mapping everything in her head. What does it mean by "DNA mutations?" Are they going to hurt the baby? And will it be trained just like I have been? Questions kept coming to Natalia. All of this sudden information was messing with her head. First, she was pregnant, which is very against the rules. Second, something is going to happen to her baby, and she doesn't want to even think about it. Third, the poor kid is more than likely going to have to go through the hell she has.

"We are going to be keeping you in a room by yourself to insure our subject's safety," Madam B spoke, bringing Natalia out of her head and into the world again. "Will I be alone?" Natalia asked. There were few things in the world that scared Natalia, and being alone was one. Here, in the Red Room, she has all the other girls — her sisters. Natalia fears she'll go insane being alone for nine months.

"You will have all the necessities needed," Madam B assured Natalia. However, it did little assuring. Natalia nodded her head, "Yes Madam. But will I ever get to see the other girls?" Madam B gave her a sad smile, shocking Natalia. This women never showed more emotion than a ghost did. "We cannot distract the others from training. Graduation is upon us, they must be ready. However, each month we will send a doctor in for a check up."

    Natalia was devastated that she would have to face her fear. What the hell is she going to do for nine months all alone? She couldn't quit thinking about being alone; she was starting to freak out. Take a breathe. You will be okay, she told herself. She took a deep breathe, her shoulders rising and falling.

    For the remainder of their walk, they walked in silence. Natalia didn't know where Madam B was leading her too, but she suspected it to be her "room of doom," as she wanted to call it.

    "Here we are," Madam B said, looking back at the younger girl. "This is your room." Her suspicions were right. Natalia didn't know how she felt at that moment, but she gave a small, fake smile. The door had nothing on it; it blended in with all the others around it. "Will I ever leave this room?" Natalia asked, hoping for a yes, but not expecting one. Madam B shook her head, "I'm afraid not. We cannot have anything disturbing the pregnancy." "Oh, okay." Natalia's shoulders fell and the smile she held faltered.

    Silence fell between the two as Madam B moved to the side, first taking the file back from Natalia's hands. Then. she gestured for Natalia to open the door. Natalia nodded her head and put her hand on the handle. No going back now. She turned it and pushed it open. Natalia surveyed the room. There was only a single bed in the farthest corner to the right. A small kitchen, equipped with a stove, fridge, limited cabinet and counter space was immediately to the right of the bed. On the opposite wall there was one door leading to the bathroom. At the foot of the bed, there was a shelf. It had her few outfits on it, along with pointe shoes, books, paper, and a few pencils; things to hopefully keep her occupied. The bathroom was just big enough to contain a shower, toilet, and sink; the towels were on the back of the toilet.

    Natalia stepped farther into the room. Madam B, who remained in the doorway, said, "I will return in a day or two to see how you are adjusting." With that, she shut the door, starting Natalia's fear.

****

EDITED/REWRITTEN
and so it begins . . .

-Nat