the first time you stay the night

You woke up to the feeling of something soft moving across your forehead. Upon opening your eyes, you noticed it was your girlfriend Elizabeth, brushing the pad of her thumb across your skin.

"Hey. The movie's over." You sat up from her lap and rubbed your eyes. "What time is it?" She looked at her phone. "Almost one am."

You stretched your arms above your head. You still felt exhausted, but you had to get going. "I'm sorry I fell asleep. I promise I'll stay awake for the entirety of the next movie in a couple of days." You kissed her cheek before taking your shoes.

"Where are you going?"

You furrowed your brow and slipped on one of your shoes. "Home. Liz, you said it yourself it's almost one in the morning and there's no way I can pull an all-nighter with how tired I am."

She rolled her eyes. "I wasn't suggesting that. I was just thinking that maybe you'd stay the night." You dropped your other shoe to the floor in shock. "Are you sure?" She nodded. "Yeah. I mean, you're exhausted. So just stay here. Stay with me."

You took off your other shoe and felt her take your hand. She pulled you up from the couch and led you upstairs to her bedroom. You sat on the edge of the bed as she started to go through her closet.

A shirt flew your way, landing on your shoulder, causing her to chuckle. "Sorry, but there's a comfy shirt for you to change into and," she paused and went over to her dresser, tossing a pair of shorts your way. "And some shorts."

"Should I change in here or...?" Liz nodded with a smile. "Yeah. I'll go get changed in the bathroom and then we can go to sleep if you want to." She said then went into the bathroom.

You heard the water running in the sink as you got dressed. You then moved up to the headboard. You fluffed the pillows and laid back against them and pulled the blanket up to your body.

The door opened as you were looking at the photo on her bedside table. It was of the two of you from one of your early dates. You knew that because it had the background of the art you went to see together. The necklace with your initials was soon hung over it.

You looked up at Liz with a smile. "I put it there every night so it won't get ruined for any reason at night." You toyed with your own, the one with her initials across your neck. "I'm keeping mine on."

Liz got into bed next to you. "That's perfectly fine." She said and pulled you to her chest as she got herself situated. "Thanks for letting me stay here tonight." You said right before you yawned and closed your eyes. "It's no problem. I like you being here."

Your lips pulled up in a small and tired smile as she kissed your head and turned the light off beside her bed making the room go dark. "I love you y/n. Sweet dreams." She said softly before laying back against her own pillows and closing her eyes to fall asleep, but not before she heard you speak again.

"I love you more, Liz."