Chapter 22: chaos lands in france

Start from the beginning

They ran as though they were moving upfield with the ball to go in for the goal. They dodged citizens on the stroll as though they were defenders. They used their speed and strength as professional footballers to escape the first real disaster they had caused in Paris, though the only consequences of that might be a slight fine or an admonition from an old lady. When they finally stopped running, breathless, smiling, and leaning on their knees in the middle of the marketplace, they burst out in laughter. At least they were making good their promise to Steph about causing chaos.

They had spent a week in Paris sighseeing in a private tour with Lucy as a guide. They went to the Musee d'Orsay, which very nearly killed Jordan as Keira and Leah spent 3 excessive hours looking at paintings. They browsed a skylit shopping mall where Lucy spent money she didn't have on little gifts for Keira. They went to various clubs where Leah and Lucy got absolutely wasted on French cocktails and Jordan and Keira had no fun because they had to stay sober to watch their friends. Lucy knew all the best little clubs for dancing or drinks, even the most secret and hidden ones and Jordan, fascinated by the nightlife fun, wondered why she even left. They attempted several other museums, but Jordan got scared in most of them and though Keira tried to help her appreciate the "art" there was no denying that they all had a little fear in wandering medieval French castles where aristocrats were mass slaughtered hundreds of years ago.

Jordan got sick on the Ferris wheel after having too much chocolate, and Keira fell into a planter at a famous outdoor garden and accidentally smashed all the flowers. It was Lucy's fault, she swore but everyone knew she was just clumsy.

A highlight of their French tour was dining at the Eiffel Tower, where they climbed to the restaurant on the first level of the iconic French piece of architechture and opted for Champagne on the third level. Keira and Leah were like kids at the streetside sweetshoppes, and after they bought enough sweets and allsorts to last them a lifetime, Jordan nicked them all and caught hell from Leah for it.

The food-loving Lucy and Jordan absolutely devoured the city, dragging Keira and Leah from one restaurant to another. They were warmed by how accomadating everyone was and how nice the dining experiences were.The four enjoyed their favourite restaurant at the Champes-Elysses.

"Let me go see about some wine," Lucy said, raising her eyebrows excitedly and leaving her seat.

Jordan, Keira, and Leah leaned back in their seats and sighed contentedly.

"See, Leah," Jordan said. "Paris is perfect."

Leah downed another glass bottle of water and nodded. "It's amazing! And the people are so nice. I can't even think of how many of these water bottle's I've drunk, the waiter just keeps bringing them!"

Just then, the waiter pulled up to their table. "Bonjour, Madamoiselles. Est tout bon?"

They nodded in unison. "Oui!"

Voulez-vous un peu plus d'eau? Ils ne coûtent que quelques livres par bouteille."

Leah's eyes went big and her mouth pulled down in confusion. "Ermmm...oui?"

Keira nodded with her. "Oui." Neither of them knew what the waiter was saying but they decided that "oui" was the best answer.

"Oui," Jordan added.

The waiter bowed slightly, and produced three more fancy glass water bottles.

"Ah, look, he brought us more water!" Jordan remarked happily.

"Water's very well, but where's Lucy with that wine?" Leah questioned.

"This waters amazing," Keira shrugged. "I could settle for just this, to be honest."

Finally Lucy returned and after they had some of the wine, Lucy called for the bill.

"It's alright, I'll pay," Leah offered.

"No, its fine, I got it," Lucy said dismissively.

Leah playfully snatched the bill from Lucy to pay, but when she looked at the bill she threw it back like a cursed object and said, "No you're right, you pay."

Lucy was confused, and took up the bill. "297 Euros! We only ate bloody sandwiches! Whats this?

Keira craned her neck to see the bill in Lucys hand. "How much was the wine, then."

Lucy shook her head incredulous. "Only like 15 Euros! Whats this...23 bottles of water! At 5 Euros each! Jesus! Who drank all this water!

All of them bowed their heads guiltily.

"Well we didn't know it cost! Its water for gods sake! And the waiter just kept on bringing it! Keira dropped her head in her hands.

"He must have told you at some point that the water was going to cost!" Lucy exclaimed.

The three girls looked at each other. "Well if he did, we didn't understand him," Jordan said reluctantly.

Lucy sighed. "You lot will be the death of me I swear." She looked them seriously in the eyes. "Strike one."