chapter eighteen ; friends

Madej was awoken by Moki and Viho, both of whom were sitting on his chest.

"What're you two doing up at  -" he looked at the clock on his bedside table, "- eight in the morning?"

Viho grinned at him as Moki babbled about something, the words not reaching Madej's ears. Viho noticed and shook his brother's shoulders, probably telling him that Madej couldn't hear.

Madej watched as they started to try and search for his hearing aids, and he reached over to the drawer in his bedside table and put the hearing aids in.

"What do you two hellions want?" he asked, and they stopped messing around, looking up at him.

"There's a guy at the door for you, and Auntie Mandy said we should get you up. And that food's ready. Mama did it."

"Ah, your mama made food? Well then," he grunted as he took the two in his arms. "Let's get something to eat."

"But your hair's a mess," Viho said. "And that vampire won't be impressed."

Madej rolled his eyes as he walked down the stairs. "Well, I don't care. He's seen me uglier anyway."

Moki and Viho pulled the same face at him. "You're not ugly. Benny is ugly."

Madej snorted. "Don't let him hear you say that." he said, seeing his brother back at the table. He looked like he hadn't slept in a while. Madej put the two down on the floor and went over and patted Benedict's back. "Good hunting?"

"There were eight vetalas. Me and Ringer are good for a while."

"Well, I did offer to join you, so fuck you."

Jasper walked in, smiling at Madej. "Morning." he said, and Madej hugged him, the sharp coldness of his skin waking Madej up a little more.

"Your hair's a mess," Jasper said, running his fingers through Madej's hair, getting out a few knots.

"I told you!" Viho's voice yelled, and Madej looked over Jasper's shoulder at the boy.

"Told who what?"

Viho pointed to his brother. "I told him the vampire is your boyfriend!"

"That creature is Madej's boyfriend?" Aunt Anna shrieked from the kitchen.

Madej pulled away from Jasper, sighing. "She's ... not fond of vampires." he told Jasper, who gave Madej a look that told him that much was obvious. "Bond with the twins." Jasper nodded at his words, kissing the side of Madej's head before Madej went in to confront Anna.

"That-that unnatural beast is your mate?" Anna hissed, pointing towards the living room. "And you let him stay with my boys?"

"First off, don't call him a creature or an unnatural beast, what's wrong with you? Second off, he wouldn't be allowed in the house if we didn't trust him. And I trust him with my life." Madej caught her eye, and she gave him a disapproving look. "Besides, he's ... a pseudo-vegetarian." He shrugged his shoulders.

"What?"

"He has animal blood, not human blood. So, yeah." Madej wasn't sure what else he was supposed to say. Besides, it wasn't her business who he was dating, and if his mom was fine with it, then his aunt should be too.

Aunt Anna wasn't impressed. "And how many humans did he butcher before he turned a supposed new leaf?"

"Whether he has or hasn't is none of my fucking business, Anna, and it's none of yours either."

"Madej, you will listen to me and listen well." Anna said lowly, and Madej was unimpressed; he could hardly hear her. "Vampires are dangerous. He could kill you without effort. You can't trust him."