chapter 8

"Captains." The referee says. The other team's captains, Zack, and I walk to the center of the field.

"What you're a girl." One of the other team's captains says.

"I'm aware." I say.

"You can't play." The other one says.

"And why the hell not?" I ask.

"Because you are a girl."

"Then that will make it that much better when we win." I say.

"Quit your bickering." The ref says. Then he turns to Zack and me. "Head or tails?" Zack and I look at each other.

"tails." We say at the same time. Then the ref throws the coin in the air.

"tails." The ref says.

"We choose to receive."

When we get back to the sidelines I do my hand shake with Chance. I look into the crowd and see my mom, Dean, Tony, and Gavin.

The other team kick the ball. It hand perfectly in one of our player hands. Our player is tackled at the thirty yard line. I run out on the field.

"Hike!" I yell. The center snaps the ball. I catch it with ease. I look for one of our receivers to be open but I am hit hard. The wind in nocked from my lungs and I lay on the ground. The medic team rushes to me.

"I'm fine, I'm fine." I say. They help me up.

"You have to set on the bench till the next play." One of the medics says. As I walk to the sidelines Zack calls a timeout. Zack grabs the left tackles face mask.

"I don't ever want to see you let your man get past you!" Zack yells.

"It was an accident." The left tackle says.

"Accident my ass." Zack says. "If you ever let your man get through on purpose I will personally kick your ass." He says through clinched teeth. "Got it?"

"Got it." the left tackle says. Then him and Zack run onto the field. They score a touchdown.

The other team didn't score a touchdown and now it is offence's turn to go out onto the field.

"Are you sure you are okay?" Zack asks.

"yes." I say. I walk on the field.

"Hike!" I yell. The center snaps the ball. I catch it and look for a receiver. Then I see that Rich is open but he is three-quarters down the field. I know I can make the pass. I throw the ball and hold my breath. Rich catches it and I let out my breath. He runs as if he was lightning. He doges everyone who attempts to tackle him. Then he runs into the touchdown. I look at the crowd, they stare at me with their jaws dropped. I think I just proved them wrong.

"That was amazing!" Zack says when I get back to the sidelines. "I have never in my life seen something like that!" I smile and he smiles back.

"Dylan!" chance says. "I didn't know you could do that!"

"That was awesome!" the team says. They also say other things.

"Dylan," someone says. I turn around to see Trever. "I'm really sorry about what I did to you."

"It's okay." I say.

"No, that was a dick think to do. How can you just say 'it's okay'?"

"I'm used to it."

"Well from now on you have my full respect. After that pass you made I'm pretty sure you have everyone's respect."

"Thank you." I say.

~****~

Our team wins 28 to 7. After I get off the team bus I walk to the girl's locker room. When I come out is see my mom, Dean, Gavin, and Tony. When Dean sees me he opens his arms wide and I run to him. I jump on him and he swings me around.

"That was an amazing pass!" he says.

"Which one?" I ask.

"All of them." Tony says before Dean can answer.

"Dylan!" someone on the team says. "There is going to be a party later, you coming?"

"No thanks." I say. "I don't do parties."

"Okay then." He says and walks away.

"Dylan, I have two gallons of ice cream, popcorn, and six hours of horror movies, you in?" Dean asks.

"Hell yeah I'm in." I say. I like horror movie but they always scare me shitless. "Chance, you want to come over tonight?" I ask chance.

"I can't, I have to watch my little brothers tonight." He says.

"Okay. Good luck." I say.

"I'll need it." he says.

As we walk to Dean's truck I see Zack.

"I'll be right back." I say to Dean and his friends. "Zack!" I call out his name. He turns around.

"You played good." He says.

"Thanks. You did to." I say. "You want to come over? We have popcorn, ice cream, and horror movies."

"Sounds like fun." He says.

"Dean!" I yell from all the way across the parking lot.

"What?" he yells back.

"I'm getting a ride from Zack!"

"Okay!" he says. I get into Zack's truck and he drives to my house.