Show Me What it Takes

Ruby and Jamal walked into the room, the two sleeping women oblivious to their presence. Genny told Ruby this morning that Tía went to the hospital yesterday. She had found out from a friend that worked in the ER. The advantages of a close community. Ruby immediately texted Jamal and Cesar about it, and that he was going to see her. Jamal was the only one that hit him back, so they met up outside Jamal’s and walked to the hospital. 

Ruby stood next to Jamal in the doorway, flowers and weeds in his hands that he picked on the walk, “Should we wake her up?” he asked, looking at Camíla sleeping in a chair with her head slumped over on Lupita’s hospital bed.

“No,” Jamal loudly whispered, “We should just sit here until she wakes up on her own,” and he plopped down on the couch, football bag on his lap

Ruby rolled his eyes, “Jamal, what if she doesn’t wake up for hours? I love Tía, but I’m not tryin ta be in this hospital. I do not like the vibe in here.” 

“Probably because it’s full of sick people and babies,” Camíla sat up in the chair raking her hair away from her exhausted face. 

Jamal jumped, hand going straight to his chest from the sudden sound and movement, “Woman, you are not allowed to scare people in a hospital.”

Camíla laughed, “Are those for Tía?” she asked, pointing to the flowers. 

“Yeah, we thought she might need something to spruce up the room,” Ruby looked around taking in the white walls with one peice of art, “And by the looks of it, I was right.” 

“It’s a hospital, Ruby. No one is trying to decorate. People come here to die,” Jamal said then looked quickly to still sleeping woman, “Not that that’s why Tía is here.” A large nervous smile spread on Jamal’s face. 

“I have no idea when she’s going to wake up. Want me to just send a text when she is?”

“Well, we have something to ask you since we’re already here.” 

“Have you talked to Cesar or Spooky lately?” Jamal asked in a rush.

Camíla shook her head, “What’s up?”

Jamal shrugged with his palms turned up, “Cesar’s ghosting us. “It’s been exactly a week since either of us have seen or talked to him.”

“We want to go see what’s up, but you know the place is crawling with Santos and well,” Ruby looked away on edge, “Spooky’s there, but,” he perked up, “Spooky likes you. You’re his hermosa.” Ruby smirked, nodding his head with his words. 

“Are you asking me to go check on Cesar?”

“Yes!” Jamal answered, popping up from his seat, “I mean no. We’ve got Cesar. We just need you to be our buffer with Spooky.” 

She looked at Tía and then the time on her phone. It was almost noon. The Diaz residence should be business as usual. Grabbing her keys, Camíla stood from her chair motioning for the two teens to follow. The fifteen minute drive to the Diaz house was filled with Ruby and Jamal debating what questions they were going to ask, and which ones they would avoid. Then the theories why Cesar was not talking to them started getting thrown around. The most unsettling one was the truest. 

What if Spooky has him doing Santo business now? Her stomach dropped when Jamal said that, but she could not dwell on it. She would drive herself insane. Did she ask Oscar about it? 

Her thoughts were put on pause as she pulled up to their destination. There was a cholo passed out on the couch, and bottles littered the front yard. Oscar walked out in a white tank and khaki shorts lighting a cigarette as Camíla got out of the car.