I Know Deep Inside

Camíla tossed in bed, her mind trying to wake up due to the smell of food cooking overtaking her senses. Tía usually went out with her friend Silvia Saturday mornings. Slipping out of the bed, she lay on a long gray cardigan over a black tank top and blue shorts. She left her room and started walking towards the kitchen. Sounds of laughter could be heard, but it was not Silvia, the laughs were definitely not female.

"Tía?"

"Aqui mija! Tengo algunos visitantes (Got some visitors.) "Lupita called back to her niece.

Her dark brows furrowed as she came around the corner. Cesar sat at the table with Tía Lupita, and Oscar stood at the stove cracking an egg into a small pot. Was she dreaming right now?

"Mañana mami," Oscar dried, a dimpled smile stretched across full lips.

"Mañana Oscar. Cesar," she could not mask the confusion in her voice.

Cesar picked the colorful galaxy patterned backpack from beside him, "You left your school stuff last night, so Oscar brought me."

Lupita put her hands on the young teen's face, "Eres un joven tan dulce, Cesar (You are such a sweet boy, Cesar.)" She sat back in her chair before a series of rough coughs took over her.

Camíla rushed to the cabinet beside Oscar grabbing a cup then filling it with water at the sink. She handed her aunt the cup, and rubbed her back.

"Lo siento muchachos (Sorry boys.)" Lupita grabbed her niece's hand, "Good days and bad, but seeing those handsome faces, has made this one great."

Oscar flashed a charming smirk grabbing a plate, and placing it in front of Lupita with a kiss to her cheek, "Anything for my favorite lady."

The older woman slapped a hand to her chest with a barking laugh, "Always the charmer, Oscar. And this, "pointing down to the plate with her fork," smells heavenly. "

The Santo walked back to the counter to plate the rest of the food. Camíla followed to help him grab what he could not.

"How was your shift last night?" Oscar asked with a raised brow.

Camíla shrugged, grabbing three forks, and one of the finished plates, "It was uneventful, so a good night. No Prophets snooping around if that's what you're wanting to know. "

Oscar nodded and grabbed the other plates, "Good. Let's go eat. "

The four sat around the table eating their Huevos Rancheros, and chatting about anything that came to mind. Filling Oscar in on four years of memorable moments between the three of them. Camíla took in the moment. Breakfast at Tía's was a weekly event for them before Oscar was carted off to Pasadena. Luptia was laughing and truly enjoying herself. Seeing her wide, joyful smile made this day wonderful, and it was not even noon.

Lupita loved Oscar and Cesar. The younger Diaz was over at the Vicario residence more often than not if he wasn't going with the squad. She would bake him sweets in exchange for help around the house. Whether it was tending to her garden or just sitting with her to keep her company. There were times he would bring Ruby, Jamal, and Monse over. Tía could never have kids of her own, but welcomed anyone else's babies with open arms.

"So, you're in school?" Oscar's voice drew Camíla from her thoughts, and the potatoes she had at her mouth.

"Online classes. May not be on campus, but I still get my degree. And, I get to stay here, "the sauteed onion and crisp potatoes made Camíla close her eyes, and savor the bite.

The Santo gathered the four plates, and took them to the sink. He started washing the dishes. Camíla smiled to herself when she heard the water run. Oscar hated leaving the kitchen a mess after cooking. Always cleans up after himself. It was always the first thing he did in the morning if the kitchen was not cleaned the night before.