Chapter 15: Finding Her

Kyle:

There were so many sights to see. The people of South Korea were rebuilding- and fast to be fair, the war had only been over for a decade or two. Construction was going up all over. As we passed, Nadine sometimes waved at people moving through the streets or putting up homes or even just talking in the streets- talking all over the streets- like being in the street with cars meant nothing to anyone here. Their lack of height already said as much, but the way many of them acted, these people were NOT Americans. There were even dogs and horses, but all of them were working animals it looked like, not pets.

Even as this was a new country, seeing Nadine and Jaden in the front of the car, many of the Korean people would wave small American flags, or wave some approximation of red, white, and blue. Course, as I looked out at some of the streets and saw the South Korean flag- red, white, and blue. So... maybe they were just being friendly.

There were a few people who got a look in the back of the car, folks with whole families of people all one skin color and obvious nationality- had to pause seeing, a pale Arab, two darker Arabs, and a Nigerian by birth being driven around by two Caucasians. Course we sometimes got those looks in America too.

We were on the way to find Raven... Jessica... Even as I resolved in my mind and out loud that I was really doing this for Raven, there was that unspoken part. It wasn't that I was trying to wipe out concern for Jessica from my mind- I just didn't know how to think about it. A part of me wanted to just say 'I'm looking for two lost kids, that's the end of it' but, deep down, I knew that wasn't right either. Sure I could treat Jessica and Raven as different people in time, but they weren't in a sense. They were the same person- but only in a way.

The roads were much less put together than in the states. It was obvious these people were poor, but then again, war would tend to do that.

We drove near a mountain range and were about to travel up one of said mountains when I saw the scanner showing much more recent traces of Je- Rav... maybe I would just alternate the name in my head a few times... Raven. Thus we headed into a different area of the city.

Finally, we pulled our small car into a makeshift parking lot for a strange building with steam coming out the back. Jaden threw open his door when the car stopped, jumping out instantly, panic in his voice. "The heck is this place? What's the steam all about..." The rest of us stumbled to get out of the back. "Kyle, give me the tracer- is she in there right now?"

"Yeah-what is that?" I asked, still giving him the scanner.

Nadine looked at the wooden structure, again, with smoke and steam rising into the air behind it. "I have no idea- looks kinda scary." She reached back into the car, bringing out her shotgun.

Xao suddenly moved out of the group and in front of us. "Hold it, hold it. Why are you all acting so freaked out?" He waved his hands at the structure. "It's a bathhouse." He got several inquisitive looks, including from me as I fingered my sword. "People take baths in- a bathhouse. They're not like- cooking people in there or whatever you're thinking. It's actually a very nice place." I watched as several locals walked past us into the building, a few distancing themselves from Nadine and her shotgun. "Seriously none of you know what a bathhouse is?" Nadine started scanning the area. "Put the gun away please."

"Well you all have your swords and gizmos," Nadine defended.

Xao tapped his sheath. "Got a holster for it at least? Sides, even here everyone probably thinks our colorful swords and sheaths are toys. Pretty sure this country was hit by war but- they're in the modern age. No one carries swords."

Nadine sighed and put away her weapon. "So what do they do here?"

"I mean, kind of implied don't you think...?" Xao said. "Right, bathhouses haven't been common in the states for like a century." He looked up at me and J-Star. "What are your excuses? There are bathhouses on Triad."