Chapter 5: Who WE Were

Raven:

Jessica was nearly asleep- this was the time we often were able to "hang out", maybe for a half hour or an hour before sleep completely overtook the person currently in charge of our body.

I met her again in the mental room.

She sat down at the table. "You... you cut off some information to me- first off how did you remember how to do that?"

"You saying Patrick's name jogged a lot. Apparently, both of us can block select information from each other," Jessica said.

I looked at her suspiciously. "We CAN do that, it's not advisable. We're one mind here. I don't hear everything that happens when you're in charge anyway so it's best to not worry if you want to keep something personal. You just make me suspicious."

She bit her lip. "Look, something is going on up there and I'm not really sure how to talk to you about it- not even sure how it's gonna turn out- I mean it will turn out I'm sure- just stay down here for a while okay?"

I looked at her in a leery fashion. "Well... okay."

"Sorry, I don't know you all that well right now."

"I guess that's fair."

"In the meantime, there is something I would like to try to remember."

"Shoot."

"My swords- our swords I guess-"

"Really more mine than yours. I was the fighter between the two of us," I reminded her.

She cleared her throat, "Our swords, I've been using them plenty."

"Yeah, I saw some of that- not very well but we can address that later."

Jessica seemed to resist giving me a scowl. "Okay, how did we get our swords? I know they came from my sword master- Patrick, but... I just want to remember getting them I guess."

I chuckled. "Well, first off..." I held up my hand.

(***)

Triad, the city of Trannith.

1929 earth time

I sat at a stone table, reading my favorite book I had taken from earth, the Three Musketeers.

Over the years, Janice and Jane actually still held a place in my heart, but the book was in storage as I lost interest in re-reading it after so many times- same with Mark Twain's book. The bible was always with me- I didn't really care about that one myself, only Jessica did, insisting that book always be nearby. Today it was in a drawer in a dresser just across from where I was sitting.

I turned the page, reading about d'Artagnan meeting the musketeers for the first time when Patrick came into the room. He carried a package under his arm. It was small long and wrapped in green paper with a bow. He put it in front of me.

I quickly put down the book and grabbed the gift. "Mine right?"

He nodded with a smile.

I tore into the wrapping, Patrick quickly saying "Careful when you get it open-". I opened the long black box to see- it was beautiful.

"It" was a sword with a blade-like I saw in a few Arabic countries while on earth. The sword was perfectly sized for me with a gold handle, blue stripes pushing up from the gold.