02 • the hot chocolate

Kavya's POV

"Cha-Ching!" went the register as I entered my second home - Thanks A Latte Coffee Shop.

I'd been coming here since my college - almost six years now. Earlier, it was Cafe Cliatro but then the D'Souzas, who own, run and serve this beautiful place, decided to give it a complete makeover.
And when one day I casually remarked Mrs D'Souza over the drink "Thanks a latte, aunty!" she liked the phrase so much that she almost jumped out of ecstasy and the next day I saw it hanging to the gate in cursive.

As I made my way to the cornerseat that solemnly belonged to me, Rishaan pulled my cheek, doing which was by then his ultimate daily goal.

"You kids get exceptionally energetic during summers, huh?" I scoffed brushing his hair with my hand gently and placed my mug of hot chocolate on the table.

Modern love, according to me, works on this phenomenon called 'hot chocolate effect'.
You take a cup filled with hot water or milk and tap it with a spoon. Then mix in chocolate powder and stir. Now, if you tap it this time, the sound drops significantly. Enough to equate with 'love'!

But wait. My philosophy of love does not matter because neither I have loved nor been loved.
To put it simpler; if love was magic, I was a muggle.

I'd probably have thought of more such metaphors but just then a gorgeous distraction seated himself on the table adjacent to mine, facing me.

Even though he wore an unusually large cap and heavy pair of sunglasses; I could easily figure he was immensely good-looking.

I wish I could stare that cute thing for longer but 1) I had no access to his eyes 2) he wore sunglasses which meant he could stare back at me and I'd never know 3) which would be the most awkward thing happening to me.

Few minutes later, he lowered his cap blocking my entire view. So I decided not to bother him and turned my gaze towards the ocean when out of no where Rishaan grabbed his forearm and shouted "VIRAT KOHLI!!"

The guy quickly placed his hand on Rishaan's mouth and said, "don't call out my name, please" and then took it off immediately.
He didn't look angry; rather I could see glittering innocence in his eyes for Rishaan. Or maybe for everyone who exists.

He then lifted Rishaan, made him sit ON the table and said, "I promise I'll play with you one day if you promise me 3 things."
Rishaan looked so happy over the declaration that he clapped out of joy!

"Three easy things:
One, I want you to be my friend.
Two, you'll have to be a very kind and brave boy always.
Three, ask that madam to come and join us. She seems very curious."

My heart turned upside down as he took off his sunglasses and both of them flashed a sudden glance toward me.

I stood and walked to their table and wrapped my arm around Rishaan's shoulder. He gave me a side hug.

"Di! Did you ever imagine meeting Virat Kohli?!" he asked me with a very wide smile on his little face.
Well, I was hearing that name for the first time that day, so it was obvious for my answer to be -
"No. I could never imagine this, darling."

Whoever he was, he seemed truly important. And somehow, I was convinced that he was people's favourite.

"Umm, sorry but I honestly don't know who you are." I confessed.

"You sure?"

"Why would I lie? I am really sorry!"
I was being too straight-forward than necessary which almost sounded rude.

"Well, then, I'm glad we met! The fact that you don't know who I am itself tells me a lot about you." He deadpanned.

"Uh, may I know what and how?"

"I infer from my studies that you don't watch or read news; seem to be a non-sports person and not interact with people too often. Correct me if I'm wrong."

Well, he was right. But the situation was turning intolerably awkward for me until he laughed and asked,
"I'd like to have your autograph. Can I?"

I was supposed to feel more uncomfortable but the light charm in his voice nullified every embarrassment coming my way. Rishaan got a notebook and a pen. I signed.

"India mein rehke India ka captain nahi pata? VIRAT KOHLI nahi pata? Naak kaat di meri, huh!" Rishaan said to me as if I had terribly let him down.

"But I am genuinely happy to have met someone like you. Someone who doesn't know me by history or limelight but by actual acquaintance. It makes me feel like a human after a long time."

"You are embarrassing me, sir" I said in a low voice.

"Will you mind doing me a favour?"

"Say?" I replied unsure of what he wanted.

"I'm on a one-day holiday today. I wonder if you could take me around the place so that I don't miss out on beautiful and quiet spots like these..."

"I would love to! But you'll have to rent a bicycle to experience the real fun of shores. I got one for myself already."

"Sounds great! Let's go then, Miss - ?"

"Kavya. Kavya Vohra."

"That sounds greater!"