[ 7 ] steve | warm

•••

Scoops ahoy was particularly empty this Saturday night. It was almost closing time, and there wasn't a single customer in sight. There was only Steve, who was making it his personal duty to eat as much ice cream as he could. I mean, we got it for free while we were working... so why not? He was sitting in one of the booths while I was doing the closing routine.

"Hey y/n?" Steve broke the silence. He still had ice cream in his mouth while he was talking—I could hear it. Kinda gross.

I looked up from where I was previously wiping. "Yes?"

"Do you always walk home by yourself from work?"

I nodded. Where was this going though? "Yeah... why do you ask?"

Steve got out of the booth and came over to me. He now stood on the other side of the counter. "Let me drive you home tonight."

I must've made a confused face because a look of hurt appeared on his own. I immediately felt bad. I had been working with Steve for a month now, and we rarely talked, so him asking was a little out of the blue.

I gave him a reassuring smile. "Yeah that would be great. Thanks so much."

Steve smiled wide and backed away from the counter. "Okay. Great... I'll go and put up the chairs."

I just nodded as he left. All I had to do for the rest of closing was turn off all the lights and lock the till... which I did very quickly. While doing so, the thought of Steve murdering me in his car had crossed my mind. Maybe this freak was going to kill me and leave me on the side of the road. I shivered at that thought and tried to push it out of my head.

"Are you okay? You ready to go?" Steve stood in front of me, holding his car keys.

I nodded slowly, and we exited through the back door. The walk to the staff parking area was awkward. It was a type of silence that was unnerving, as if someone should have been talking but neither party wanted too.

I decided to break the silence. "Are you planning on killing me Steve Harrington?" And after I spoke I immediately wished I hadn't.

Steve stopped walking and his eyes were wide. "Is that what you think I'm trying to do y/n?" He put his hands on his hips defensively. "You think I'm gonna kill you?"

The thought of that sounded ridiculous when it came out of his mouth. I felt so stupid for even thinking that.

I shook my head. "No- I mean... it's just a thought. It's always a thought in the back of my head. It's different for teenage girls... I just assume the worst I guess."

Steve nodded like he understood. "Yeah I get it... but I'm not going to kill you."

We continued walking until we got to his car. It was nice and roomy, the type of car I would want if I were to ever get one.

Steve opened the door for me, I rolled my eyes and said thanks, but my heart was beating sorta fast. I didn't really know what it meant, as it was a new feeling.

Steve got in beside me, and turned the car on. "The AC is broken right now...so I can't turn the heat on."

I just nodded. It was a bit cold, and I was just in my scoops ahoy uniform with a cardigan over top, but I could manage.

Steve looked at me for a solid three seconds, and then reached into the back of his car and pulled a jacket off seat. "Here. You can wear it and give it back to me next shift."

"Oh no I'm fine, really." I tried to refuse, I even held my hands up as a way of saying no. The jacket hit my face a second later. Instead of fighting it, I just put it on... it was warm.

Steve backed out and got onto a main road. The thought of him murdering me completely vanished when he started to sing a song that was playing on his radio. As if this guy could kill me... I would probably be able to kick his ass if I tried hard enough.

I told him my address and he dropped me off. The ride was relatively silent, except for Steve humming and singing along.

I got out of the car and I began to take off his jacket to give it back, but he held out a hand to stop me. "Next shift... remember?"

I nodded and gave him a small smile. "Thank you so much for the ride Steve... oh and for keeping me warm." I pointed to the jacket.

He smiled. "It's no problem. Have a good night y/n."

I shut the door and began to walk to my house. When I turned around I noticed that Steve was till parked there, it wasn't until I made it inside that he left.

•••

Lmk if there's any spelling/grammar errors!

Also this is my first update since August and I'm a bit rusty sorry 🤭🤮