03

“Young Min, with all due respect, leave me alone

“Young Min, with all due respect, leave me alone.”

Today was the funeral. I hardly knew most of the guests. Not that there were many people that attended in the first place, but most of the population comprised of Sun Won's friends and their parents, as well as some of her teachers. I don't remember inviting them, but of course they found out. I wasn't in the right state of mind to talk to them anyway. I'm glad they took the time to come either way. I tried to remain strong and greet them politely, with tension in my jaw.

The guests I know were Mr. Lee and Young Min. That's all. They expressed their sincere condolences and made their way to the hall where they were to have their meals.

Meanwhile, I just sat there in the main hall, not even looking at the picture of my sister surrounded by the white flowers. I was leaning my head against a wall and closed my eyes. I hardly slept since it happened and the tiredness was just getting to me. I haven't been able to attend my classes or go to work. I was preparing my saved up money to have this funeral. I should probably start going back to work since my money was entirely gone, plus debt.

My mother couldn't even fly home because her boss wouldn't allow it. Unfortunately, she was under one of those cruel bosses in America that would be featured on some reality show or the news. She was weeping and repeated "sorry" to me for what felt like a million times. We just wallowed in our grief over the phone. I handled everything alone.

I felt a presence slide down next to me. “There's some food you like in the other hall. It tastes good. Let's go and sit with Mr. Lee.” Young Min, bless him, had tried everything to cheer me up the past several days. He managed to get a smile out of me from time to time and seemed content with that achievement.

“Young Min, will all due respect, leave me alone.” I said, still keeping my eyes closed, my voice weak. Young Min sighed but didn't say anything. He didn't make an effort to get up either. “You should go to Mr. Lee. I don't want him to be alone.”

“Mr. Lee would understand. We don't want you to be alone,” he said softly.

“I'll be fine,” I said with a halfhearted smile. “I'm always fine.”

After a few minutes of silence with my friend beside me, I felt a nudge on my right shoulder. I looked at him questioningly. He nudged his head forwards.

I turned my head and my gaze hardened.

Anna and her parents were walking towards us. Anna looked pale and exhausted. Aside from her uncharacteristically pale lips and cheeks, there were no blemishes, or any indication that her face was bare of makeup.