01

The harsh droplets of rain washed down on my body

The harsh droplets of rain washed down on my body. My shirt and jacket stuck on my skin, and my every time I took another step, I could feel the sogginess in my shoes. On a normal day, I would be very uncomfortable.

But today was not like most days.

°°°°°

"Oppa! Please tie my shoelaces!"

With a sigh, I finished washing the dishes in a hurry and made my way to the small beaten up couch.

I got down on my knee and proceeded to tie my dear little sister's shoelaces. "Didn't I already teach you how to do this, Sun Won?"

Sun Won nodded with a bright smile. Her two front teeth were missing. "I like it when you do it, Oppa." I shook my head with a smile.

Double checking all the switches in our little apartment, I grabbed my school bag and hastily put on my uniform. "Come on, Sun Won. I don't want you to be late." I buttoned the last two buttons of my shirt as I locked the front door and grabbed my sister's hand.

She giggled as I picked her up and placed her on the back seat of my bicycle. No matter how many times I do this, she insists on being excited every time I do so.

This also applies to waving her arms around and squealing when I quicken my pedaling. I laugh at the sound of her childish laughter from the back.

When I reach her school--the same school I used to go to when I was little--I carefully let her down.

"Be good today, okay? Anna will pick you up later."

She nodded. "I'll get 10 out of 10 on my test! I will show you later!"

"What if you don't get a 10?"

She thought for a moment. "I'm gonna eat your vegetables for a whole month."

I laughed. Little did she know that that would do her more good than it would do me. "Really? A whole month?" I ask.

Her eyes widened and shook her head. "I meant a week! No, for five days!" I laugh loudly. "What if I do get a 10?"

"How about I buy you that Barbie doll you saw at the store?" I smile mischievously.

She cheered. "Yay! I love you, Oppa!"

"Love you too, Sun Won." I pinch her cheek. "Go in now. I have to go to school too. Happy Birthday."

She skipped ahead inside the school gates. She looked back at me and sent me a small wave which I gave back with as much enthusiasm.

Seeing her small figure go inside the school building, I climbed on my bike again and went the opposite way where my school was.

Instead, I made my way towards the chicken store.