02

Without saying goodbye to my coworkers and Mr

Without saying goodbye to my coworkers and Mr. Lee, I bolted. Still in my work uniform, I climbed on my bike and pedaled as fast as I could. My ears were ringing and I could feel cold sweat on my forehead. I'm pretty sure my face was as pale as it could get.

"What is it, Anna? You know I'm working. My shift ends in one hour."

"Y-Yeon Joon..."

"Are you okay? What's wrong?"

"S-something h-hap-pened."

"You're scaring me now. What happened?"

"I AM SO SORRY, YEON JOON!"

"Breathe, Anna. Tell me what happened."

Anna then told me what happened.

Anna and Sun Won were shopping at the little boutique close to our apartment. It was a quaint two-story building where everything was cheaper than in regular malls.

I convinced Anna to shop there for Sun Won because I didn't want her to spend more money than she needed to. She admitted defeat and went to the boutique where she normally wouldn't go to.

Her voice was shaking and hysterical when she repeated the events that transpired. Through the tremor in her voice and the sobs that racked her body, I managed to make out what she said.

She didn't know what caused it, but a big fire consumed the small building.

I could already hear fire trucks heading towards where I was headed. My lungs were burning, but the adrenaline kept me going. The harsh wind worsened the cold feeling I had.

As I neared the boutique, I saw tall flames dancing, smoke billowing through the broken windows. People were out gaping at the scene. Some had their cellphones out, taking footage of the burning flames consuming the boutique and everything it had.

I first saw the owner of the shop crying at her livelihood literally burning in front of her eyes. I saw people being carried out by the medic, oxygen masks put on, soot on their skin and clothes.

My heart was pounding, still not believing the last thing Anna said on the phone.

I searched frantically for her. I pushed through the crowd, hoping to spot my best friend and my sister. I prayed to whatever god was out there that both of them were safe.

In front, I spotted her. Anna.

Still in the clothes she wore to school, she was seated on a stretcher, her phone clutched tightly in her hands. The medics were taking her vitals and forcing her to keep still.